Ole Abroad (Lucy): Shocked or not

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.

In the back pages of my “Orientation Handbook” – given to me and all other abroad Oles by the International and Off-Campus Studies office – I am assured that I will experience culture shock. From first-timers to the most experienced travelers, I am told that ‘everyone’ deals with this phenomenon. Reading on, I also learn that culture shock, or problems adjusting to a new culture, affects all travelers with varying levels of intensity. 

Back on our Malt-O-Meal scented hill last spring I remember laughing at these statements with my friends. If I would be shocked by anything, I schemed, it would be how much it rained in England compared to America. Now, I realize that I am in fact experiencing culture shock and have been since I’ve arrived. Clearly, you can’t plan shock. You also can’t plan the weather – my new rain boots are barely broken in.  

For all of you who might be studying abroad currently and for those of you who will be off-campus next Fall, J-Term, or Spring, take note: according to my handbook, there are four phases of culture shock. Here they are:

1. Excitement: a.k.a. the “honeymoon phase.” You are completely absorbed, interested and thrilled by everything new around you. You don’t have time to bother feeling uncomfortable. You are simply enjoying meeting new people, trying new foods, speaking new languages – if only we could all stay in this phase!

2. Crisis: It’s all sinking in now. You are settled in with your host family or university and you have now been away from friends, family and all that is familiar for a few weeks or even a few months. (Some reach the Crisis phase earlier than others.) You start noticing all the major and/or minor differences between your own culture and this new one. Especially if you are studying abroad in a country where you have to speak a new language, you more easily feel frustrated, isolated, nervous, and irritated. Try to recognize your feelings, talk to someone about them (if you think it will help) and move on as best you can from all those unhappy doubts and emotions!
           2A. Anti-Native Phase: It may be quite hard for you to move on from the Crisis phase. Some travelers   find themselves on one extreme – idealizing their home country, hanging onto old beliefs and attitudes, and complaining about everything they can of the new country, culture, and people.
            2B. Native Phase: Conversely, some travelers end up on the other extreme – becoming obsessed with the new culture and people and renouncing their former beliefs and attitudes to fit in. If you are in this phase, you may even bash your own culture and people. 
*If you can, it is best to move out of this phase as soon as possible. The first step is recognizing you are in it!

3. Recovery: You have recognized the differences between this new culture and your own; you may have struggled with accepting all of these changes, but now you are moving on. You are feeling more comfortable in your new home, you are establishing routines, forming solid friendships, and if you are speaking another language, it is getting easier. Once you reach this phase, give yourself a pat on the back – you made it! (Nearly.)

4. Adjustment: My handbook describes this phase nicely: “Now that you are adjusting to the new culture, you can accept it as another way of living. It does not mean you are enthusiastic about everything the host culture does or about the way they do it…You will still have moments of strain and times of misunderstanding, but you begin to feel more comfortable and genuinely enjoy yourself.” ENJOY yourself and your wonderful experience!

It is almost three months now that I’ve been in England and I’ve certainly moved through all of these phases. I will admit, I took the 2A route (the Anti-Native Phase) verses 2B. For a week I remember playing this same song incessantly in my room:

I even bought pre-fried chicken to cook! I remember it was great with Ketchup, a glass of milk, and some peppers in dip…but then I wanted tea and digestives for dessert! (Digestives are these delicious, very thin British cookies, usually eaten with tea. They come plain, chocolate or caramel covered, ginger flavored, etc.)

Now, I’m definitely in the adjustment phase. This past month has even seemed like life back at Olaf: I have three papers to write by the end of the month, a creative writing portfolio due, final exams coming up after April break, books to read, and so on (plus my favorite part: I am traveling on weekends all around England.) While I do find myself (oddly) criticizing the chimneys here, hence the photo at the start of my post, and critiquing the houses I see in town – they are squished SO close together – nothing else is problematic to me. Every day I’m thankful that I have the opportunity to study in England and every day, I’m ENJOYING it all.

Click “Add new comment” and tell me about your culture shock experiences! I would love to hear about them!

*Lucy Casale ’13 is studying at Lancaster University in Lancaster, England for second semester.

Founder and executive editor of the St. Olaf chapter of Her Campus, Lucy Casale is a senior English major with women's studies and media studies concentrations at St. Olaf College. A current editorial intern at MSP Communications in Minneapolis, MN, Lucy has interned at WCCO-TV/CBS Minnesota, Marie Claire magazine, and two newspapers. Visit her digital portfolio: lucysdigitalportfolio.weebly.com