Why I Want to Hear Your Voice

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stockton chapter.

Sometimes, we just don’t have the answer. It doesn’t mean that we’re less than or that we’re failures; no one can have all the answers all the time. Being correct is something I’ve fought myself over countless times. The heat bounds straight from my heart, flipping and kicking excitedly and aiming directly for my face when I realize that what I’ve done is wrong – it happens.

Most of the time, when we don’t want to speak out, it’s because we don’t want to be wrong. There’s this fear that’s associated with how we’re perceived by others when we say something that may be out there. My own irrational fear, for years, was to raise my hand in class because I was afraid that other people might laugh at what I say. It was something silly and usually I find myself nodding along with the correct answer in my head when someone else has said it.

It’s important for us to get rid of that fear. Sometimes, we won’t have an answer and that’s okay. But, if there’s an idea in your head that you feel the need to share, please take this article as your encouragement. I find it common that most of us are afraid to give our ideas, no matter how abstract they are, out of fear of embarrassment. The world is missing out on so much creativity and individuality because we won’t speak up. If you’re anything like I was, this is for you!

I want to hear your voice because no matter how ‘weird’ you think what you have to say is, I promise there’s at least one person listening out there that’s thankful for it.

I'm a music-loving, afro-rocking, soul-searching, wanna-be adult that probably spends too much time on the internet. I think a good lipstick is the key to running the world and tea can solve any issues. Writing is the answer to all my problems. Follow my twitter @naijxsia!