What I Learned at the Women of Politics Panel

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stockton chapter.

On April 14th, I had the chance to attend the Women of Politics panel held, here, at Stockton University. The women who attended were Darleen Bey-Blocker, Judy Ward, Maisha Scudder, Brenda Brathwaite, and Jena McAlister. Darleen is a Job Developer/Contract Writer for the Atlantic County Department of Workforce development with a focus on the younger people of the town. Judy Ward is a councilwoman for Pleasantville who is serving her 4th term and is currently in her 12th year of working on the city council. Maisha Scudder is a liaison between the constituents of New Jersey and the federal government and is a staff member advocate. Brenda Brathwaite is an educator and is currently running for the position for Atlantic County Freeholder. Jean McAlister is the Dean of Resource Development, President’s Office and Board of Trustees Operations at Atlantic Cape, Executive Director of the Foundation and Board Secretary.

Dolma and the women of the panel

Each woman was asked a series of questions such as how they first got into politics and what it means to be a woman in politics and how it differs than being a man. One of the statements that Darleen had made was “As a woman, you must have thick skin.” She went along to say that there are people that are going to try and knock you down, but you have to be able to get right back up and prove them wrong. Judy told of how she was the only female on her council. She had gone through many experiences where men would want to go to other men when they had a problem instead of going to her. Eventually, the men of the council would tell the ones having a problem to go to Judy. She felt very confident in her position as the only woman on the council and definitely shows that confidence as she spoke. Maisha stated that, as a younger woman, she is used to being overlooked when it comes to political business. She spoke of when she had male interns with her, people often think that the men are in charge instead of Maisha herself! She also states how men in the political business will often ask her how she had “gotten her job,” considering that she was so young and a female. Instead of being offended, Maisha embraces it and tells them of how she had obtained her job. She states that you shouldn’t take offense and, instead, embrace it and open up more!  

Brenda talked about how she didn’t really experience much difference being a woman in politics, in her line of business. She also spoke of how she was a “community person.” She felt that people were comfortable talking to her about issues that they would be having. By running for a political position that not many women run for, Brenda, showed how confident she is in herself and she inspires and encourages other girls to go into politics. Jean told a story that there once was a fire in the building she was in charge of and when the firemen came she was ignored and they requested to talk to a man instead of her. When the situation was eventually taken care of, the president of the organization had gone up to the firemen and asked them why they hadn’t listened to her when he had put her in charge. She stated how it made her proud that the president had told the firemen about her, and that made her feel important, which she was.

Each woman told stories of how they had conquered some type of obstacle and now  it was my turn to ask a question of a struggle I had been going through. I raised my hand and asked my question: “Since I am attending a school which is mostly female populated, I am very confident in my major, which is Biochemistry. Do you have any advice for me when I come out of college and hopefully pursue further to medical school, where there may not be as many women in the field?” Each woman gave me the confidence I needed right there and then. Darleen said, “If that’s what you want to do, honey, then you go out and do it.” Jean had said to me how there was a short supply of doctors and how I should just take it one step at a time, work hard, get good grades, and have confidence in myself. Judy had said that I was already earning their respect just by pursuing my dream in college, and to just “do what I have to do” and she wished me luck. Brenda gave me advice by saying that I should “network” and definitely try to find people who may have the same interest as me, talk to professors and to find resources that can benefit me for the future. Maisha told me, as a Stockton student herself, to take advantage of the opportunities I have here at Stockton and to look for ways to help myself in my field.  I want to thank the ladies who came out to the panel that day. They have each inspired me to continue my path and do the best I can. Remember ladies, confidence is key. No matter where you go and what you do, always have confidence in yourself!

Hi! My name is Dolma Sherpa and I am a sophmore at Stockton University! I am studying Biochemistry and Molecular Biology in the Pre-Medical program eith a minor in Behavioural Neurosciecne! You can always find me binge-watching The Office or Parks and Recreation anywhere on campus!   I can't wait for you to read my upcoming blogs and see pictures of Stockton's amazing campus!