Stockton’s Take on the 2016 Presidential Election

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stockton chapter.

If you have been following the presidential election for the past year, then you know the race for the next leader of the United States has been nothing short than an exhausting rollercoaster ride. Most of us laughed when Donald Trump announced he was running for the president of the U.S., but fast forward a year and a half later and he is the Republican nominee, aiming to make America ever so great…again.  On the Democratic side, Hillary Clinton, has been pushing to become the first ever female president while simultaneously deleting “non-existent” emails. We’ve heard their speeches, their hopes and their dreams for the future of our beloved country, heck – we have even seen their catty Twitter fights. Memes are great and all, but when it comes to the reality of the situation, one of these candidates will become the next leader of our country. This election has been one of the most controversial of all time. For most college students, this is our first time being able to vote in an election. In fact, our votes are so important this time around because this is our future. Whoever becomes the president will also become the one to shape the world that our children and grandchildren will live in. As November slowly creeps up, voting day is right around the corner. As a college student myself, adjusting to the world of campus life again can take quite some time. Assignments are already starting to pile up, club meetings are kick-starting, and well-spent quality time with your roommates or friends can be the number one activities crossing our minds. Even with all of these factors, it is still important to spark a conversation about the upcoming election and discover what exactly are the opinions of some fellow college students. So, I asked a few students on campus how they felt, whether they are voting, etc. and here are the results. “This is my first time voting because I am finally of age this election. I am focusing on the educational plans of each candidate and what direction the economy is going to take, which will directly affect our student loans. I am also going to vote for a candidate that has the country’s best interest in mind, is inclusive of all races, genders and sexualities, and can easily identify the separation of church and state.” – 2017 graduate

“I am not going to vote in this year’s election. It is hard for me to accept the reality of the situation with Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton as choices.” – 2018 graduate 

“Even If I was registered, I wouldn’t vote. I do not like either candidate.” – 2018 graduate

“I’m putting in my vote for Hillary. Although I do not agree with some of her points, I still believe she would be a better decision for America than Trump.” -2019 graduate

That’s just a few opinions regarding the election on campus and everyone feels a different way. You are entitled to your opinion, but we do have the power to motivate change for the world that we want. If you do not like what you see, take this opportunity and cast your vote!

My name is Allie and I am sophomore literature major at Stockton University. I am super excited to share with you Campus Celebrities and Featured news!