Open Letter to Holiday Shoppers From A Retail Employee

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stockton chapter.

We’ve all experienced the irrational, impatient and down-right nasty customers. You know the type – don’t greet the cashier, complain about the prices and try to use an outdated coupon. Maybe you’ve never worked retail, but you’ve probably seen these people in action at the checkout counter in front of you.

Holiday shoppers are, for the lack of a better word, the worst. Yes I know that’s an obvious sweeping generalization, and journalistic crime, but there’s something about the holiday spirit that makes customers transform into demanding ogres. The store doors’ open and in walks giant, mutated, Shrek-like customers.

“What do you mean I can’t get a discount on this product that’s in perfect condition???”  

Ogres.

To be fair, there are (thankfully) always going to be a few customers in your day that restore your faith in the general public. So for those of you shopping this holiday, please study the following advice to be a more-reasonable and less stressful customer.

Greet the Cashier. Like, actually. 

This may sound almost stupid, but if you work retail you know how important a greeting is. How often have you said “hi, how are you?” to a shopper and they completely ignore you. Not only is it rude, but it makes the cashier feel like an absolute idiot. “Did they not hear me? Do I say it again? What if I do and they still don’t answer?” Not much for small talk? Most of us aren’t either; a quick “hello” will suffice.

Let the cashier get the spiel out before you decline.

Most stores now have something to offer may that be a credit card or savings membership. You may have been asked a million times whether you want it, and after a million times still don’t, but let the cashier finish what they have to say. It is their job to try and sell the card. In most cases, they have to try and meet a personal or store goal and are under a lot of pressure to reach it. Don’t cut them off, just let them finish and then politely decline. You may think this doesn’t matter, but it’s so frustrating to be cut off mid-sentence when you’re required to ask.

Understand that cashiers don’t make the prices or policies.

It’s easy to become angry at the person telling you that they can’t take off more money on an already discounted item. This is where most of the ogres step from their swamp. Let’s be clear, cashiers are there to ring up your products. That’s it. They don’t make prices or policies.

Hand the money to the cashier.

Why are you placing all of your cash and change on the counter? Was there a reason you couldn’t place it in my hand that was literally reaching for it? I can promise you that the money in your pocket is far more germ-ridden than the cashier’s hands.

If something falls, pick it up.

Yes, it isn’t your job to clean the store but if you’re rummaging through a clothing rack and you make a shirt fall off a hanger, please just pick it up and put it back. Your customer experience will be greatly improved if the employees are free to help you and not busy cleaning up after you.

Watch your kids.

If there’s a toy aisle and you don’t mind if your child browses it, please watch that they’re not destroying the store. Employees are not babysitters. We’re not there to make sure your kid is being safe. If an employee (politely) tells your child to stop doing something, don’t yell at the worker, chances are your child was doing something that was either unsafe or disrespectful to the store.

Be PATIENT.

If you’re in a rush, skip the shopping-spree. If you just need to pick up a last minute item, try to understand that the employees are trying to work as fast as they can. They want the line to go down just as much as you do.

Cashiers can’t control the speed of price checks.

Of course it’s annoying when you get to the checkout counter and realize one of your items doesn’t have a price tag and most stores don’t allow cashiers to run back and search for the item. If the cashier calls for a price check and it’s taking a while don’t be rude to the cashier. In most cases, if you know where the product is, it will be much quicker if you went yourself to get it. If you don’t want to do that politely explain to the employee where you found the item and understand that they’re working as quickly as they can.

Don’t make passes at employees.

There’s a difference between offering a small compliment and being a total creeper. Employees want to feel safe at work, and if you’re over 10 years older than them trying to be suave, you’re most likely making them extremely uncomfortable. Keep your sexually-charged comments to yourself.  

Don’t tell an employee to smile.

This is mainly aimed towards older men. I hope for the sake of your shopping experience that every retail worker greets you with a smile, but if they’re busy on the sales floor, don’t tell them to put a smile on their face. It makes women feel that they’re nothing more than something sweet to look at.  A comment like that is a sure-fire way to make a woman feel degraded.

Hopefully these tips make your holiday hunting a bit more pleasant, Happy shopping, collegiettes! 

Founder, Editor-in-Chief & Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Stockton University School of Business - Marketing Concentration | Stockton University