Mattel Releases Barbie’s New Body

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stockton chapter.

For years now Mattel has been slightly criticized for its lack of diversity when it comes to the size and appearance of its Barbie dolls. Even I can remember only being able to purchase a doll being the same size, with three varying skin tones and the same hairstyle. I never personally felt like I could relate to Barbie, but as a young girl it was the most common toy to have, so I wanted it anyway. Now Mattel has released information that later this year in stores Barbie will have a whole new look. With 4 different body types, 7 skin tones, 22 eye colors and 24 hairstyles there’s no reason young girls will feel like they don’t relate to Barbie. 

With today’s generation becoming so eminent on making it known that body image is a huge issue in our society it was only a matter of time before Mattel caught on. It’s obvious that in the media there’s a narrow-minded standard for what women should look like and it’s starting as young as when a girl buys her first Barbie. When we tell young girls that one body type and visual appearance is the ideal way to look, we are damaging them far before they even understand what body image is, and before they have a chance to realize it should not be what is expected of them. Though Mattel has made many changes and improvements to their line of dolls over the years, they have never done something as innovative as this. 

While you can now order these dolls on Barbie.com, they will not be in retail stores until later this year. Parents on social media are now saying they finally can feel comfortable buying Barbie dolls for their children without damaging their child’s view on their personal appearance. It looks like we may be taking small steps in the right direction.

My name is California Watson and I'm a Junior at Stockton University. I grew up in Galloway and love where I live! I have a strong interest in fashion, modeling, and hopefully one day living in New York City. I have a HUGE Taylor Swift obsession and love going to the beach and reading in my free tim.
Founder, Editor-in-Chief & Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Stockton University School of Business - Marketing Concentration | Stockton University