California Watson ‘17 Walks in College Fashion Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stockton chapter.

Meet 21 year old California “Cali” Watson, from Galloway, New Jersey!

Cali is majoring in Communications and media studies and will be graduating from Stockton in 2017. After graduation, she hopes to move to a city and work for a magazine.

Outside the classroom, Cali is a contributor and the Social Media Director for Her Campus Stockton and a Sister of Delta Phi Epsilon. In her free time, she likes to hang out with her friends and write.

As for style icons, Cali loves “bad girl RiRi” Rihanna for always incorporating attitude in her looks. On her own personal style, Cali describes it as: “A lot of grey! Grey is not only my favorite color, but it’s my favorite color to wear.”

This month, Cali got to walk in the Her Campus College Fashion Week in New York City. She commented: “Growing up I had a crazy dream of wanting to be a Victoria’s Secret Angel. I mean who didn’t, but when I stopped growing after 5’7”, I realized modeling couldn’t really be a choice for me. When I saw the opportunity, I thought it would be a fun idea – plus I love working with Her Campus Nationals. It’s always really inspiring to see all the girl bosses around!”

This was her first modeling experience and even though it was a little intimidating in the beginning, Cali said after the first walk, she became more excited than nervous. Right before the show, her nerves were going crazy because she didn’t know what to expect. There was a solid 45 minutes before the show where she was already in her first look for the night, but was waiting while guests were coming in and getting settled. In this time, Cali could hear the excitement, but wasn’t a part of it yet and her anticipation was building. She took the time to prepare herself with deep breaths backstage.

Cali then added: “We all had four looks. For three of my looks, I wore the same pair of leather leggings so quick change wasn’t as stressful for me in the beginning. I loved all the outfits with the leggings because they added a ‘bad girl’ kind of vibe. My other look was a really cute flowy dress, so that was a fun change from the leggings. I also got to wear Vince Camuto heels, they were so cute. I wanted to take them home!”

Her favorite part of the experience was bonding with the girls. Cali said that: “By the end of it we were all like, ‘wow we all just went through this crazy, really cool thing together just because we all happen to write for Her Campus!’ We bonded a lot rushing around for quick change and lining up to walk out. It was a lot of fun meeting girls from other HC chapters.”

Recently, Cali was blessed by the presence of Queen B, when she attended a Beyonce concert at Lincoln Financial Field in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The concert was held outside, in the pouring rain, but Cali said the performance “was amazing and she still did all her unreal dance moves. In heels. On a wet stage. She is not real.”

Cali lives by the quote: “Life begins at the end of your comfort zone” and that’s exactly what she proved through her College Fashion Week experience. Go girl!

(Images courtesy of California Watson)

Founder, Editor-in-Chief & Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Stockton University School of Business - Marketing Concentration | Stockton University