9 Emojis ’90’s Kids Need

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stockton chapter.

While it may be the year 2015, most of us, particularly ‘90’s kids, are still reminiscing of the times when the we sported a different pair of stick-on earrings for each day of the week, wore jelly shoes on the reg’, lounged in a bean bag chair all day, aspired to collect everything Lisa Frank and our only responsibility was having to remember to feed our virtual pet Tamagotchi.

Thanks to celebrities like Kylie Jenner, Miley Cyrus and Gwen Stefani, who have made our past obsessions trendy in the present day, we are probably more obsessed with the 1990s and early 2000s now than we ever were living through them. With the recent addition of emojis to iPhones everywhere that has everyone buggin’ out, I got to thinking about the most essential emojis that we all would have needed if iPhones were to have existed then and ones we’d love to have now for old times’ sake.

1. Troll Doll

The great thing about a having a troll doll emoji is that it is so versatile. Being that it’s cute, creepy, frazzled, a hot mess; it conveys so many emotions and totally explains how we feel after a night out.

2. Boxy Lunchbox

Yes, they were boxy, obnoxious and really impractical, but with their bright colors and endless design options, we loved them regardless. Can you imagine being able to just send your mom this emoji as a reminder to pack your lunch?

3. Plaid Skirt

Thanks to Alicia Silverstone a’la Clueless, every 90’s chick rolled out of the house in a plaid skirt at some point, making this emoji, “way existential” to our 90’s emoji wishlist.

4. Glitter Gel Pen

Picture along the current row of writing utensils, the most prized possession in every 90’s kid’s pencil pouch, the glitter gel pen.

5. Smiley Face French Fry

I don’t know how Apple has gone this long without giving us a potato emoji, but given we were in the 90s, we definitely would have needed a smiley face french fry emoji. It’s a food and an emoticon and that’s totally appropriate for any conversation.

6. Yo-Yo

Aside from using this emoji for the literal placement of the object, it’d be a great greeting. Switch up your hey/hi/hello to a little Yo-Yo emoji as an alternative to “yo!” – now that’s a conversation starter!

7. Jelly Shoes

Okay, maybe they weren’t the cutest shoes ever, but we all swooned over them at one point and loved to hate them. Which explains our feelings on so many things in life. Making it only fitting to include them on our list.

8. Furby

Similar to the need for a Troll Doll emoji, there’s something about a Furby that makes them semi-cute, while also being disturbing. A Furby emoji could definitely sub-in for the purple smiling face with horns emoji we have currently. It’s innocent, yet mischievous, and therefore would be plastered over every teenage girl’s Instagram bio.

9. AS IF!

Along with our row of symbols holding the ‘OK’ and ‘COOL’ button emojis, everyone would have needed an ‘AS IF!’ in the same theme. It’s a perfect way to politely tell your BFF she’s being crazy, again.

What 90’s themed emojis would you have liked to have seen on our list? Tweet us at @HCStockton – we totes wanna know!

Founder, Editor-in-Chief & Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Stockton University School of Business - Marketing Concentration | Stockton University