7 Fashion Trends to Hit Stockton This Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stockton chapter.

The leaves are turning and the temperature is dropping, fall is upon us and is dressed in flannel with a berry-colored lip. Appreciate the fashion of the season, because before you know it we will all be buried under layers of hoodies and two day old leggings.

This week I took note of what the fashionable ladies of Stockton were wearing and compiled a list of the most common trends found on campus.

1. Flannels

The days are over when flannel shirts were set aside for robust lumberjacks and the man on Brawny’s paper towels. Flannels are  e v e r y w h e r e . You can’t walk into Forever 21 without spotting several mannequins sporting plaid – whether the design is on their shirts or their socks.

2. Sweater dresses

Bodycon dresses have been big long before Sofia Vergara of Modern Family began wearing them. This year bodycon meets knit sweaters: an edgy grandma’s sewing project. A dress that shows off your curves, but keeps you warm in the frigid air; you can’t go wrong.

3. Anything and everything in burgundy

Take a look around the next time you’re in class and count the number of people you see wearing burgundy. It’s something my mom would consider the “in color” this fall. It’s not just our sweaters or our hoodies either, burgundy bras and combat boots are among the long list of things you can find in this trendy color.

4. Timberland Boots

Maybe the trend came from Beyonce, or perhaps Bob the Builder, wherever the start may be, these boots are all over campus. Most wear them over their skinny jeans, and somehow made these work boots look fashionable. (Because I’m absolutely sure If I tried to wear them I’d just look ready to hit the work site).

5. Army Jackets

Army jackets are perfect for the autumn months because they’re lightweight and can be layered over bulky sweaters. Paired with the right shoes, they can add an edgy look to your outfit. Punk rock not your style?  These jackets have seen an evolution over the seasons that they don’t just fall under that edgy look anymore so don’t be afraid that you can’t pull them off.

6. Berry Lips

Dark red lipsticks are always a statement look, but fall calls for lipsticks in deep plums. Rihanna ‘s vampy lips has mainstreamed this edgy look. Even for our 8:30 ams, girls will stroll in killin’ it with their berry-stained lips. Creating an ombre affect by using a darker lipliner and filling in with a lighter shade has found its way to campus as well. For a rule of thumb from your fashionable peers: skip the gloss and go matte.

7. Chunky Jewelry

Jewelry has often thought of as an accent to outfits. Chunky jewelry has challenged that idea by becoming the main component of an outfit. You can throw on a flowy tee or a loose sweater and look like an average student, but pair those basics with a large necklace and suddenly you look like fashionable.

Whatever your style may be, fall brings a unique look to all of our outfits. Some say following trends takes away our creativity, but if you see your peer wearing a berry-lip and you think you could rock it, then rock it. Find your style and own it.

Founder, Editor-in-Chief & Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Stockton University School of Business - Marketing Concentration | Stockton University