12 Times Salem the Cat Explained College Life Perfectly

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stockton chapter.

This week marked the 20th anniversary of the premiere of American sitcom Sabrina the Teenage Witch. It’s hard to believe Sabrina Spellman, played by an adolescent Melissa Joan Hart, was running through the halls of Westbridge High School dealing with teenage drama and causing havoc through plotting the casting of spells 20 years ago. While the show chronicled Sabrina’s life, her pet cat Salem ending up stealing most of the spotlight and winning the hearts of viewers through his sarcastic attitude and hysterical punchlines. Perhaps it’s even more surprising how much the evil-genius-wizard-turned-beloved-house cat Salem understands exactly how we feel as collegiettes. Sure as college students we envy the life of a cat and we’d like to curl up on the couch and watch our favorite Netflix series in between naps and devouring every bag of chips in sight, but there’s something about Salem just getting us. He understands college and exactly how we feel.

To support this, here’s 12 times Salem the cat defined that he is the epitome of college students:

1. He eats his feelings.

2. More like he just eats constantly. It’s one of his favorite hobbies.

3. Sometimes his emotions get the best of him.

4. He’s sophisicated, ahead of his time and questions the motives of his peers.

5. He’s never afraid to say what he feels.

6. He can be a little too sarcastic.

7. Okay, most of the time.

8. He values his me time.

9. He has his priorities straight.

10. He’s in tune with himself.

11. He can be needy AF and a tad dramatic.

12. He has good intentions in everything he does. Most of the time.

While many college students cherish any moment where we can take a break and chill out, as collegiettes we strive for greatness and aim to fulfill our goals. So it’s only fitting that a cat obsessed with world domination understands us. Salem embodies to both sides of us – and we relate to him.

(Images courtesy of Sabrina the Teenage Witch)

Founder, Editor-in-Chief & Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Stockton University School of Business - Marketing Concentration | Stockton University