This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stevens chapter.

Climate change is a reality. We caused Climate Change with our excessive waste and pollution. It is the increase in the frequency and intensity of extreme weather events that contribute to phenomena like glaciers melting, water levels rising and forest fires occurring. I think we all might be feeling increasingly worried for the planet as climate change has become more evident in our lives. If you remember we had a few forest fires this past summer that affected the Northeast region. The fight to stop global warming is not one we can win overnight, but listed below are a few ways that we, as college students, can help. 

1. Ditch single-use plastic. – Being that we are in New Jersey we all have been forced to carry tote bags with us when shopping since they banned plastic bags. However, we can take it a step further and maybe pass on that straw next time. 
  2. Buy clothing from secondhand shops, consignment stores, Depop, and thrift stores. – these options are not only cheaper but more sustainable for our planet. You can also sell or donate your clothing items!
  3. Try to eat more plants and less meat! – You don’t have to call yourself vegan or vegetarian now, but just reducing the amount of meat you consume can help reduce greenhouse gas emissions. 
  4. Turn those LED lights off when you leave the room – this one is self-explanatory, turn your lights off when you leave the room. Maybe even just open the window and get some of that natural light in your dorm. 
  5. Buy used items – eBay & Facebook marketplace are great resources for finding a good piece of furniture, electronics, etc. at a cheap price while reducing waste! Just be sure to always meet up in a public area and be safe!

Lastly, no one is perfect. It is okay if you use a plastic straw sometimes, the world won’t burn. Don’t stress out about the environment too much, but you need to try to help in some way. Being more mindful of the waste we produce is the first step. Eventually, this mindfulness will be your second nature and you won’t be tempted to grab that straw as often. 

I am a 3/4 Business & Technology major concentrating in Computer Science & Information Systems.