My Roommate Doesn’t Read, but Here Are Some Books I Would Recommend to Her

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stevens chapter.

As an avid reader and frequent user of Goodreads, it is somewhat shocking that my roommate has not read any of my book recommendations. Actually, she has not finished reading a book in the three years I have known her. Understandably, her schedule is too busy to find time to read, and she would much rather watch the movie adaptation; however, the following list includes some of the books I have recommended to her in case anyone else is interested. Each book is highly rated and is in a different genre, so new readers can find books that best meet their interests and potentially start reading for leisure.

Happy Place by Emily Henry

Happy Place is a contemporary romance; however, the pages divulge into the reality of growing up and center around themes of self-discovery and friendship. The book went viral on TikTok this past summer, and for good reason. Readers witness a friend group navigate college and their lives after graduation via a dual timeline between the past and present. It draws connections from the characters’ memories to illustrate the lessons we learn from the people we meet and the reality of how relationships change over time. This book depicts the realities of platonic love and the importance of friendship as you face life’s hardships. Happy Place is filled with love and loss and is perfect for those soon graduating from college and having to accept the responsibilities of adulthood.

The Silent Patient by Alex Michaelides

In 2019, it was nominated for Goodreads Choice Award for best debut novel and won best mystery and thriller. The Silent Patient is a psychological thriller that unravels the motive of a woman’s violent act against her husband. A deeper dive into the novel (without revealing too much): a criminal psychotherapist wanted an opportunity to uncover the truth because the woman had not spoken a word since the domestic tragedy – six years of silence, to be exact. The Silent Patient provides two points of view – the psychotherapist’s perspective and the woman’s past journal entries – to uncover the truth of the night. 

Carrie Soto Is Back by Taylor Jenkins Reid

Carrie Soto Is Back is the winner of the 2022 Goodreads Choice Award for best historical fiction. Although it is a work of fiction, the details make the characters’ stories feel that it is a true story. The novel tells the story of a 37-year-old tennis player, Carrie, who returns for a final tennis season. She committed to training for a comeback after six years of retirement. She hopes to defend her Grand Slam record with her father as her coach. Readers can learn the basic rules of tennis and the heroine’s story as she overcomes adversity through hard work and perseverance. Carrie Soto is Back is written for those interested in an underdog story and choose to support those who have the odds stacked against them.

Vicious by V.E. Schwab

Vicious was nominated for the Goodreads Choice Award of best fantasy in 2013. The young-adult novel is the first of the Villains duology. It depicts a tale of allegiances, superpowers, and jealousy. The main characters recognize the correlation between near-death experiences and supernatural abilities. Their shared research interests and ambition inspired them to experiment with the truth. Readers must ask, “Who is the villain of this story?” and determine their definitions of good and evil. Past friends are now foes, and readers learn the motivations of two morally gray characters ten years after they experimented with the possibility of superpowers.

Emily Lynch

Stevens '25

Emily is a junior biomedical engineering student at Stevens Institute of Technology and pursuing a concentration in biomaterials and tissue engineering. In her free time she enjoys taking city trips to New York, trying new coffee shops, and reading.