international student?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
international student?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Zen Chung Via Unsplash

Exploring Sustainable Fashion Trends on Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stevens chapter.

Let’s ditch fast fashion and consume more responsibly. The U.S. alone produces about 11.3 millions of textile waste each year. With global warming on the rise, it’s long overdue for us to start considering the environment in every aspect of our lives. The fast fashion trend is not only harmful to our planet but it is also contributes to inhumane working conditions and child labor.

I’m not saying you need to stop consuming fast fashion in its entirety – its understandable that these cheap manufacturers may be people’s only option and also, I believe in a balance in everything. Considering we are in college and on a budget, I have listed some ways you can improve the eco-friendliness of your closet in this article.

1. Shop at thrift, stores or consignment stores. In Hoboken:Samper Inc – 211 Bloomfield StSt. Mary’s Thrift – 536 Garden St Thrifted by J&D – 526 Adams St Thriftbox – 522 Jefferson St. Online: Thredup, Poshmark, Depop
  2. Sell or Donate your old clothes:Whatever you do don’t throw out that shirt! Donate it to the local homeless shelter on 300 Bloomfield St. or sell it on an online thrift store like Depop or Poshmark.
  3. Avoid retailers like Shein, Forever 21, and etc. Don’t feel guilty if you consume these brands!! Just do your best to avoid them, and try to look for other options you can afford!

Environmentalism does not have to be perfect. It’s just important for you to try and actually care about your choices and the cause. It is unreasonable to ask of you to completely ditch fast fashion, but being mindful about your consumption is a good and easy way of helping our planet!

I am a 3/4 Business & Technology major concentrating in Computer Science & Information Systems.