Breaking Boundaries: How to Overcome Impostor Syndrome as a Woman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stevens chapter.

Impostor Syndrome, that nagging feeling of inadequacy and self-doubt, no matter how much you’ve achieved, can affect anyone. However, it disproportionately affects high-achieving women navigating male-dominated fields, making them question their abilities and accomplishments. A recent KPMG study found that 75% of female executives across industries have experienced imposter syndrome in their careers. Even some of the most successful women, from Hollywood icons like Viola Davis to Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor, have confessed to experiencing this phenomenon. 

Michelle Obama, another very accomplished woman, has spoken out about imposter syndrome. Despite Michelle Obama’s long list of accomplishments, from being an Ivy-league educated lawyer, and then serving as the First Lady of the United States for eight years, she stated that she still grappled with feelings of inadequacy, “I still have a little [bit of] impostor syndrome, it never goes away…It doesn’t go away, that feeling that you shouldn’t take me that seriously. What do I know? I share that with you because we all have doubts in our abilities, about our power and what that power is,” (Obama 2018). 

At my school, Stevens Institute of Technology, I am a part of a minority of women at a STEM-dominated school. Women make up a mere 30% of our school’s population, leading many of us to feel like we may not be cut out for the challenges our degrees entail. During my time here at Stevens, I have met incredibly intelligent, and motivated women, who despite their insane accomplishments, still attribute their successes to “dumb luck”, or feel they do not actually deserve their successes. 

As women, it’s crucial to acknowledge that battling Impostor Syndrome is a universal struggle, and embracing the reality that even the most successful individuals contend with self-doubt can pave the way for empowering strategies to combat this feeling. Here are some ways to overcome Impostor Syndrome, inspired by the experiences of high-achieving women:

1. Seek Support and Mentorship: 

There is nothing more magical than girls supporting girls, and this extends to battling imposters syndrome. Surrounding yourself with people that support your accomplishments and motivate, and inspire you is crucial to making it through college and transitioning into your professional life. Additionally, surrounding yourself with people that have shared experiences shows you that you are not alone in your struggles, and can be remarkably empowering. 

1. Embrace Failure as Growth:

As women, especially as women in a male-domianted field, it can feel like you don’t have the option to make mistakes, ask questions, out of fear of making yourself look inadequate. However, understand that having questions and making mistakes does not make you any less adequate or worthy of your achievements. Failure and setmakes are part of any journey, and instead of viewing them as evidence of your incompetence, see them as opportunities to learn and improve. Every mistake, every question, and every failure is a chance to grow stronger and more resilient. 

1. Practice Self-Compassion:

Lastly, treat yourself with the kindness and understanding you treat other successful individuals. Often, we are our harshest critics, quick to judge ourselves for perceived shortcomings or mistakes. However, it’s essential to recognize that everyone, especially women, regardless of their accomplishments, have moments of self-doubt and areas where they feel vulnerable.

Understanding this universal truth allows you to reframe your internal dialogue. Treat yourself with the gentleness you reserve for others, especially during times of self-doubt. Acknowledge your imperfections without harsh judgment and remember that these moments of self-doubt do not define your worth or capabilities.

As you tackle your school and work adventures, just know that Impostor Syndrome might show up at your doorstep. But here’s the deal: it doesn’t get a say in your self-worth. You’ve got your crew of awesome supporters, the tough lessons you’ve learned, and the kindness you show yourself. With all that, there is no doubt that you are ready to break barriers, surpass expectations, and redefine what being a successful woman means. Your journey isn’t defined by self-doubt; it’s all about your hard work’s endless potential. So, don’t just embrace it, own it! Go get ’em girl! 

Anusha Qaisar

Stevens '26

Anusha Qaisar is a sophomore at Stevens Institute of Technology in Hoboken, NJ studying Quantitative Finance with a concentration in computer science and a minor in Public Policy. She is passionate about music, theater, dance, and social justice.