Jodi Campbell: Miss Florida NAM 2015

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stetson chapter.

Jodi Campbell is a 21-year-old senior at Stetson University from Clermont, FL. She is a social sciences major with a minor in marketing. Outside of going to class, Jodi is a member of Caribbean Student Association, News Anchor for WHNN Campus News and is an avid gym goer at the Hollis Center.

HC: When and why did you get involved with pageants?

JC: I started modeling at the age of 14 with John Casablanca Agency, later on making a transition into pageants after receiving a letter from the National American Miss Organization (NAM). My mom was the one that pushed me to get involved the first time because I was extremely shy and had no idea what I was getting myself into, but my mom knew that she wanted me to become a woman who could handle herself and achieve her dreams no matter the circumstances.

HC: What were the difficulties you faced in the pageant world? And did being a black woman have any effects on that?

JC: When it comes to difficulties in the pageant world, for me as a contestant there were not many, but if I had to choose one it would be people underestimating who I am. Often times people can say very cruel things because of what you do, but what people often forget is that pageantry is not who I am, pageantry is simply part of my life.

I think being a black NAM Florida queen has come with mixed emotions, more good than bad though. Many times people see me and the first thing they see is my skin color and the crown on my head, but when they hear me open my mouth and actually answer questions or my introduction they realize that something of great substance is actually leaving my mouth and that level of respect definitely increases.

One great experience that I have had was when I was leaving to go to Texas and I missed my flight. Moments after as I was sitting there trying to figure out what to do when a black woman came over with her two daughters and they were so excited to see me and she said, “I’m sorry, but I just need to show my daughters what real black beauty looks like.” My entire mood immediately changed because these little girls looked up to me and at that moment I realized that missing my flight was important so these girls could see me and what I represented.

HC: How did it feel when it was announced that you were NAM Miss Florida?

JC: When I found out that I would be representing the beautiful sunshine state I cried, and I cried and I cried some more. With National American Miss Division, you find out over the phone and at the moment I was home cooking and when I saw the call coming in. I ran upstairs to my mom and put it on speaker. When they share the news with me I ran around screaming and crying. At that moment I understood the meaning of hard work and dedication; I understood what it meant on a more significant level.

HC: What opportunities have you been exposed to since you won your title?

JC: I have had the opportunity to do so many things that I don’t think I could have ever dreamed of. I was able to volunteer at the Ronald McDonald House, Boys and Girls Club and nursing homes during holidays. I also participated in various Breast Cancer walks, attended Caribbean Village and visit various state pageants. Most importantly, I got to start my own organization Write for Safety along with the City of Clermont Police Department to teach students about traffic safety in their community.

HC: There is often the debate of pageants objectifying women, but how would you explain to someone on that side that pageants are empowering to you personally?

JC: Personally I say to each its own, pageantry is not for everyone, but if it is for you, you automatically know it because you want to continue competing. Pageantry has helped to bring me out of my shell by teaching life skills; they teach us to reach for our dreams and to not stop until we get there. We learn how to communicate with others on such an advanced level and excel in interviews at such a young age. It has helped transform me into the woman that I am today by allowing me the opportunity to meet some of the greatest women around the world, women who are goal setters, achievers and beautiful on the inside and out. Pageantry has not objectified me as a woman, but instead it has helped me to reach new heights in my life and allowed me the opportunity to change many lives.

HC: Has being Miss Florida NAM taught you anything?

JC: Being NAM Miss Florida has taught me that it is not about me. It is not about the crown or the sash but it is about changing lives. When I was first crowned NAM Miss Florida, a lady at a women’s conference that I spoke at came up to me and said, “when you walk in a room, you command attention, but it’s what you do with it the attention that will make a difference.” At that moment I realized that this was a platform that I could use to change individuals’ life and I was going to use it.

HC: What is your advice to young girls who want to get started in pageants?

JC: I would tell them to go for it! Don’t go in with expectations, but instead go in there with a mindset of trying new things and be open to the opportunities that will come your way. Most importantly, remember that you are your only competition. 

HC: Any last words or advice?

JC: When I first was crowned I told my mom, “If I change ONE life, just one person’s life, you can take the crown and sash, I just want to be a difference in someone’s life.”

I am a Psychology Major with minors in French and Gender Studies on a Pre-Med. While I want to focus my future career on women's health, I currently want to focus on uplifting the voices of the women on my campus! I am an intersectional feminist, I love Beyoncé and my twitter page is a visual representation of my personality.