sarah gualtieri 9CApNIkRXRI unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sarah gualtieri 9CApNIkRXRI unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Spend Your Halloween in Deland

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stetson chapter.

The year 2016 has been good to us in many ways: the Rio Summer Olympics, a new book from J.K. Rowling, and a movie where Ellen DeGeneres proved to us once again that there’s nothing much more amusing than a fish with short-term memory loss. However, it is also one of those unfortunate years when Halloween lands on a Monday, and for that we can all share a silent sob. 

You may have already written off the holiday as a lost cause, and I can see why. Monday night will be sandwiched between two days of classes, and let’s be real, filled with the homework you didn’t do over the weekend. And besides, there’s nothing to do any way.

Whoa there, Debbie-Downer! Halloween doesn’t have to be a blow this year! The City of Deland has been good to us and offered a multitude of options for your enjoyment. And the best part? I went ahead and found all the fun, free things to do so you don’t have to.

Halloween Party Extravaganza

• Where: Café DaVinci
  • When: 9 p.m. to 2 a.m.
  • What: An annual event hosted downtown that includes live music from the band Sweet Bea & the Boys

Monsters on Mainstreet

• Where: Downtown Deland
  • When: 6 to 8 p.m.
  • What: A kid-friendly event where merchants will be participating as trick-or-treat venues, along with a dance party and costume contest

Heritage Farms

• Where: 1338 West Plymouth Avenue
  • What: A more rural way to spend the evening, including a night corn maze, hay rides, pumpkins, and a scavenger hunt
  • Tip: There is a charge to participate in the hay ride and corn maze.

Maybe social settings aren’t your thing, but getting into that creepy-crawly spirit is. I’ve got you covered.

Head over to Victoria Theatre and check out a movie like Blair Witch or the Ghostbusters remake. Invite the squad to watch the Great Halloween Baking Championship on the Food Network. Pull on the comfiest onesie you own (it’s basically a costume, right?), and dance to the Monster Mash! Don’t miss the chance to try out a fun Halloween make-up tutorial or get creative carving your own jack-o-lantern.

Whatever you do, don’t waste a perfectly good holiday. C’mon ladies, that’s what Columbus Day is for.

I am a Stetson University Hatter, majoring in English, and loving my beautiful Florida home!
I am a Psychology Major with minors in French and Gender Studies on a Pre-Med. While I want to focus my future career on women's health, I currently want to focus on uplifting the voices of the women on my campus! I am an intersectional feminist, I love Beyoncé and my twitter page is a visual representation of my personality.