Create a Different Kind of Memory this Valentine’s Day!

This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stetson chapter.

If you have not seen people posting plans, girls getting giddy, or the endless love commercials yet, Valentine’s day is approaching again!  Every February, the thing that is bothersome to most women about Valentine’s Day is not the whole “whose my valentine this year” thing, but the countless movies the media seems to promote each year that will be premiering right on Valentine’s Day!  For those lucky enough to have a Valentine for the day, what man genuinely wants to see another sappy love story, chick flick, unrealistic love story based movie?! No guy wants to sit through two hours of that, and neither should you!  They may do it, but come on let’s not put guys through that torture.  Besides its only going to cause your head to go into bat shit crazy mode on why your Valentine’s date was not as perfect as the movie you are watching, all while your valentine sits next to you bored out of his mind.  Perfect date night right!? Try something new this year! Instead of dinner and a normal movie, try dinner at a drive in movie theatre, or even dinner and some fun at Downtown Disney! This Valentine’s Day, don’t spend it in any typical fashion, get out there and make it the most memorable night and get rid of the stereotype that Valentine’s Day is the worst day of the year.

On the other hand, for the single ladies, go out and do something you will not ever forget because who ever remembers the nights that you fell asleep early?! Save the sad sob! Why watch a movie that will caused hated on life all because there is no current personal love story? Even if the movie trailer looks happy, what if the movie turns out sad? Now you’re crying not only because you are lonely but also because you are a sucker for love stories.  It continues to boggle the minds of women why such movies are put out at this time. For crying out loud, put it out after February 14th! 

Alayna Burton is a junior at Stetson University pursing a degree in Communications and Journalism. Alayna’s passion for Her Campus began last year when she co-founded her branch in 2011 serving as Director of Publicity and Events, and now Alayna hopes to successfully lead her branch to success as Stetson’s HC Editor in Chief. Outside of Her Campus Alayna is heavily involved with her school, her community and her sorority. Serving on numerous boards and teams including but not limited to Stetson’s event programming board Hatter Productions as Assistant Director, The Deland Community’s fundraising team GreenFeather Executive Board as a day coordinator, The Delta Delta Delta sorority Vice President of Membership, Alayna has gained valuable experience with working with people as well as insight into the world of event planning as well as marketing, branding and public relations. Future goals for Alayna include working in the field of Broadcast Journalism in the Entertainment Industry. 
 I am currently a junior at Stetson University who is ready get things going! Growing up in D.C., I developed a keen sense for fashion, a thick skin, and a yearning for success. It was only recently that I took the leap of faith and permanently moved down to Florida, not far from where I attend school, so I could pursue my love for fashion, warm weather, and a fast-paced life. I can remember my first day at Stetson University like it was yesterday with all the chaos of meeting new friends mixed with the anxiety of new classes and nervousness of being alone for the first time, but most of all my biggest concern was the stress of figuring out how I could possibly pop out of my bubble and become what I wanted to be: the confident, successful, and driven college student who would not follow but create the trend! After two years of hard work, through becoming a part of the Greek life scene, joining many different organizations and learning from prior upperclassmen who have become successful, I have created communication and leadership skills that I am forever grateful for. With a recently new found passion for the journalistic side of life, I cannot wait to be apart of something bigger than I have ever been before so I can continue learning and gaining memorable experiences that will help me in my goal to make my lifelong dreams and aspirations come to life!