Charlotte McFarland: Stetson’s Homecoming Queen 2012

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stetson chapter.

This senior Pi Phi isn’t just beautiful, she’s the closest Stetson might ever get to finding the “perfect”student rolde model. Charlotte is one of Stetson’s best student leaders involved with Greek Life, FOCUS and much more. Topping off her senior year, Charlotte took on huge roles that hilghy impacted the Stetson community including, the major commitment of being Panhellenic President… as well as Stetson’s Homecoming Queen 2012! With all her accomplishments combined with a killer personality, what’s not to love about this month’s campus celebrity.. the wonderful Charlotte! 

Name: Charlotte McFarland
Year in School: Senior!
Hometown: Newark, NJ

How does it feel to be Stetson’s first Homecoming Queen and be part of bring this tradition back to the school?
Wow! I honestly feel very honored to be named Stetson’s Homecoming Queen. At the scrimmage during Homecoming Weekend, I actually met a woman who was named Homecoming Queen more than 40 years ago! That was very humbling because I realized I was now a part of a wonderful tradition. I can’t express enough gratitude towards my sisters, my friends, and my classmates for allowing me to have that experience. It was also an honor to be given a Stetson Hat by one of the most amazing alumni, Meghan Moist.

To be Homecoming Queen you have to have a lot of school spirit, what’s you’re favorite part of being a student at Stetson?
Where to begin? I love everything about Stetson. This campus has become my home. The students and faculty have become my second family. Hmmm… if I HAD to chose one thing, I think my favorite part of being a Stetson student would be how easy it is to show off this University. Whenever I speak to prospective students or have friends from other schools visit the campus, they are always so impressed. Not only do they love the palm trees and brick buildings, they also fall in love with the people. It’s hard not to enjoy a campus full of smiling faces.

What do you like to do in your free time? Any interesting hobbies?
Gosh, I always have so much free time! (kidding!) I love to spend time with my favorite people on campus. Even if we’re “studying” or just telling jokes while we lay in the quad, I love spending quality time with the people I love. As far as hobbies, I think riding my long board is fun, but I’m definitely not an expert! I also enjoy making silly videos, laying out at the beach, going to clubs and pretending that I can dance, and eating chocolate.

What’re your plans for the rest of your time here at Stetson?
It’s terrifying and exciting to be a senior in college. I feel a sense of accomplishment, but I also realize that I still have many more mountains to climb. For the rest of my time here, I mostly plan on doing my Senior Research and soaking up every last bit of Stetson. I’d like to attend a few more lectures, spend more nights out with friends, get to know some people that I’ve never spoken to, pull a few all-nighters for no good reason, and take in whatever extra information I can from my professors. I’ve done my best during my time here to make the most of my experience, but there’s always more to learn. 

Alayna Burton is a junior at Stetson University pursing a degree in Communications and Journalism. Alayna’s passion for Her Campus began last year when she co-founded her branch in 2011 serving as Director of Publicity and Events, and now Alayna hopes to successfully lead her branch to success as Stetson’s HC Editor in Chief. Outside of Her Campus Alayna is heavily involved with her school, her community and her sorority. Serving on numerous boards and teams including but not limited to Stetson’s event programming board Hatter Productions as Assistant Director, The Deland Community’s fundraising team GreenFeather Executive Board as a day coordinator, The Delta Delta Delta sorority Vice President of Membership, Alayna has gained valuable experience with working with people as well as insight into the world of event planning as well as marketing, branding and public relations. Future goals for Alayna include working in the field of Broadcast Journalism in the Entertainment Industry.