This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stetson chapter.

Whenever someone hears you live in central Florida, they automatically assume that Disney World is your home every weekend. While that may be true for some, its definitely not accurate for a college student. If scraping money together for a Big Mac is a constant routine, what makes you think I can afford the happiest place on earth? It sucks that Universal Studios, Disney World, etc aren’t frequent places we all can go to but that doesn’t mean we can’t have fun. Even though DeLand and it’s surrounding areas lack huge attractions, there are a few gems everyone can enjoy and afford.

1) Blue Springs

Now this place is absolutely gorgeous and filled with so many activites from scuba diving to renting out a cute little cabin for a fun mini vaca.

2) Devil’s Den Resort & Springs

The Devil’s Den is quite a bit farther than Blue Springs but definitely worth it. This spring offers similar perks to Blue Springs except for the famous Devil’s Den.

3) DeLand Museum of Art

Where you can experience the power of art. Not only can you open your eyes a world of art but a ton of events open to the public are hosted there as well.

4) The African American Museum of the Arts

This museum provides the artistic excellence of African and Caribbean American visuals, literary and performing arts.

5) Downtown DeLand

Now this isn’t a specific attraction but a stroll downtown can help you find your favorite coffee shop, antique shop, street art or bar!

I am a Psychology Major with minors in French and Gender Studies on a Pre-Med. While I want to focus my future career on women's health, I currently want to focus on uplifting the voices of the women on my campus! I am an intersectional feminist, I love Beyoncé and my twitter page is a visual representation of my personality.