Student Organization Spotlight: First Generation Scholars League (FGSL)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at STCU chapter.

This week’s student organization spotlight is on FGSL! I was surprisingly, able to ask a couple of questions to the co-presidents of the organization, as they’re always busy, in order to showcase them on Her Campus St. Kate’s. These two women have been my mentors since my first year and in respect, it was time to give back and show their great effort to make St. Kate’s an even better community. Elizabeth Juarez Diaz ’18 is a chemistry major and has a minor in physics. Mirna Serrano Barahona ’18 is a Legal Studies (ACTC – Hamline University) major with minors in Communication Studies and Non-Profit Strategies and Operations. They both had the chance to join in the conversation on FGSL and here is what they had to say!

Q: Tell me, what is FGSL all about?

Elizabeth: First Generation Scholars League was started when Mirna who is the co-president and co-founder, had the idea of creating a club that is welcoming and resourceful to first generation students in college. She talked to several other students including myself, a co-founder. Thanks to the help of the founding members, FGSL was chartered. This club was created to acknowledge and celebrate the first generation experience and to validate many of the feelings students like us face.

Mirna: First Generation Scholars League (FGSL) lives out a mission to raise social awareness, build community, and improve academic success by empowering students to be confident and proud in themselves.

Q: When and why did you realize St. Kate’s needed a club like FGSL?

Elizabeth: Being a first generation student I felt like I live in two separate worlds much of the time. When I’m at home, and when I’m in school. Some of our members were the first in their family to graduate high school, so when it came to college parents weren’t as helpful in making decisions. I spent two years going through nursing school because I thought it was the best path to go to medical school, if I had more resources available, I could’ve of prevented wasting that tuition money. When we got together in the same room, we realized that many of the experiences as first gens was not unique to any of us, in fact many other students could connect and share a similar experience.

Mirna: My first year at St.Kate’s I found myself crying to my College Possible coach about how difficult it was to navigate a post-secondary institution. In the midst of it all I had to find balance with planning financials, family life, and my academics. This was difficult for me but my College Possible coach and staff members in offices such as the Center for Women and Multicultural International Programs and Services office assured me I was not alone. However, I had yet to meet students who shared similar obstacles. I joked around with a few women about starting an organization to raise awareness about first generation college students but that soon turned into a necessity.

Q: What has FGSL done so far as a club?

Elizabeth: The first major thing that FGSL worked on was a donation drive for a local domestic violence shelter. Working with Adelante a club from Macalester, we raised over 70 pieces of clothing that we were able to give to the women at the shelter. Several meetings also focused on poetry as a form of healing to share our experiences. Currently we are planning an event to talk about mental health awareness and the first generation experience, many of our experiences are unique and complex, and we think by sharing them we will be able to resonate with others.

Mirna: So far, we have also held a documentary screening on first generation student stories. The documentary follows four college students where they share their journey throughout college. This is an example of an educational event but we also do community building events. For instance, we held an event for bath bomb making similar to the ones sold at Lush. This was unique and fun! For academics, we have done Homework & Chill times, where we held a space for a specified range of hours for students to come in and work together on their academic work.

Q: How have you grown since you started FGSL?

Elizabeth: I have had breaking moments in my college career. I’ve needed the close friendships I have made from FGSL to uplift me and make me feel supported. I have become really close with co-president (Mirna). It has been stressful to start a club from the ground up, and there have been many times that the life balance I’ve had has made me want to quit things I’m doing. FGSL has helped me see the broader picture, that even if I am stressed I still want to contribute to a club on campus that can continue to grow for future first generation students.

Mirna: I feel as I have grown since starting FGSL because I finally am able to proudly advocate for myself as a leader.

Q: Can non-first generation students join?

Elizabeth: Yes, non-first generation students can join as allies so they can learn more about the first generation experience and perspective. They can also share their knowledge and build friendships across many socio-economic and cultural experiences.

Mirna: THE ORGANIZATION IS OPEN TO ALL UNDERGRADUATE DAY STUDENTS. Students who are not the first in their family to go to college can absolutely still be a member. In our constitution they are referred to as FGA’s (first gen allies). Which reasoning can range from students wanting to be connected more to resources,  building community, or simply want to support first generation students in general.

Q: How can students join or hear more about FGSL?

Elizabeth: They can follow us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/FirstGenerationScholarsLeague/  and/or on our website http://elizabethjuarezdiaz.wixsite.com/fgsl

Mirna: Email us at fgsl@stkate.edu. Facebook like us to see more events or extra resource links! We don’t bite, promise! Also, we meet Monday’s 12-1pm for lunch together in the cafeteria. We are always looking for new ideas. If you have an idea, we can help you make it.

Q: What does the future look like for FGSL?

Elizabeth: The future looks towards the recruitment and expansion of this club. We want more students to join so they can help shape our decisions and ideas. Our core mission is going to stay the same “to raise social awareness, to build community, and improve academic success with confidence and pride for first generation students in college.” We would like to be able to offer a first generation scholarship and dinner in the future to help students out who deserve recognition, we are still in the middle of planning this and hope to have it accomplished by next year.

Mirna: Hopefully, FGSL in the future grows in numbers and can create a strong bond between faculty, staff, and students at St.Catherine University. In addition to this, my hope would be for FGSL to inspire other college campuses around the state and nation to create a support space for students who are the first in their family to go to college. Being able to have an open conversation about the struggles specific to first generation college students allows students to get questions answered and therefore thrive.

Q: Anything you’d like to add about FGSL that you’d like St. Kate’s to know?

Elizabeth: This club is a chance for you to meet other first generation students who might have the same questions or concerns as you! Everyone is welcome to attend our event on Friday, March 31st 12:00-1:30PM  in room 361 CDC, where we will hold the discussion about mental health and the first gen experience.

Mirna: Calling all St. Kate students, would you like to be a leader in this movement? We are now accepting executive board applications! Email us if you are interested!

There you have it! The passion Elizabeth and Mirna have for this club should be pulling you in to join. Thank you First Generation Scholars League for allowing HC St. Kate’s to have your organization as the student organization spotlight! Your hard work, dedication, and passion deserves recognition.  

Andrea Duarte-Alonso is a grad from Saint Catherine University where she received her bachelor's of Art in Political Science, Women's Studies, and English. She founded HC STCU in order to include voices that are hardly ever represented in media. Andrea is a storyteller, writer, and a political enthusiast. Her areas of interest lie in writing (check her website storiesfromunheardvoices.com that was created for her community), traveling, and fighting for social justice issues.