element5 digital MEzqoN8p6C0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
element5 digital MEzqoN8p6C0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Long-distance Relationships: Yay or Nay?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at STCU chapter.

There are great stories of college students who marry or stay with their SO forever, even when they’re in a long distance relationship. There are also disastrous stories where LDR’s do not make it. If they do, how do these people do it?

Long Distance Relationship Statistics say it takes about four and a half months into the LDR to realize it isn’t going to work out. There are around 17 million couples who are in a LDR in the U.S. alone! Three junior-standing students at St. Kate’s weigh in their thoughts about LDR’s while being at St. Kate’s.

“It can definitely get lonely at times,” says Ruth Lopez, who has been in a two year LDR. I asked Ruth if St. Kate’s was co-ed would it change her LDR and she replied, “It would be different if this were a co-ed school being in a LDR since there would be more people with different backgrounds to speak with and get to know better!”

On the other hand, we have Nicole Swingle who has been in a relationship for almost two years in a LDR: 

“It’s not fun, but LDR’s are worth it. They teach couples a lot about communication and trust. This distance has made our relationship stronger. Even if I was at a co-ed school, I don’t think much would change as we both have the same values and beliefs.”

It sounds like relationships can definitely work out, seeing as both Ruth and Nicole have been at them for two years! But what about those who do not stay in their LDR while at St. Kate’s?

Kate Becker, a junior, had been in a LDR that lasted two years, “Distance is tough because very quickly love begins to feel less tangible”. But Kate doesn’t think that distance is a terrible thing, as it just tests the relationship. If you’re able to make it through, then the connection is obviously there and important.

It sounds like LDR’s are totally worth a try! What do you think? Are LDR’s worth staying in or are they better off being non-existent? Leave your comments below and let us know your thoughts!

Andrea Duarte-Alonso is a grad from Saint Catherine University where she received her bachelor's of Art in Political Science, Women's Studies, and English. She founded HC STCU in order to include voices that are hardly ever represented in media. Andrea is a storyteller, writer, and a political enthusiast. Her areas of interest lie in writing (check her website storiesfromunheardvoices.com that was created for her community), traveling, and fighting for social justice issues.