A Letter to 2017 Graduating Katie’s

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at STCU chapter.

Dear Soon-To-Be Katie Graduate, 

Your work at St. Kate’s has not gone unnoticed. Someone out there has seen you walk the halls of Coeur de Catherine, Fontbonne, Mendel, Whitby, Derham, and even the living spaces on campus. Your presence has significantly marked women on this campus and because of this your presence lives on. If you started here four years ago, transferred, or started out later than the ‘norm’ you are still cheered on for making it to the finish line! Life has no general timeline for all so make sure to live life the way you wish to do so. If it’s not law school or graduate school right away, that’s cool. If it’s not a full-time job in your field right after graduation, that’s still cool. Only you know what is perfect for the perfect time. As a second year college student, I like to be an attentive person. The seniors that I’ve met or seen around on campus have indeed made me want to be a strong, kind, and inspirational young woman. A simple smile and hello was all it took for me to have you as an admiration. At St. Kate’s we learn the importance of being inclusive, and a smile and hello from you helped me stay happy for the rest of the day and reminded me how welcome I am at St. Kate’s. 

On the day of your baccalaureate and graduation, continue to smile and greet everyone around you. Continue to be the nice gal who wishes everyone the best. Your life as a Katie has been active so make sure to stay active throughout your life. If nothing, these next years in your life shall be the most active you’ve ever been; show off what you’ve learned at St. Kate’s and be proud to be a Katie. 

Don’t forget to visit the younger students/children (us) that you’ve left behind. Through social media we will continue to watch you succeed and we hope that all your dreams continue to be achieved and that you reach so so so much more than what you’ve expected. We, students, at St. Kate’s can’t wait to see what you have to bring to this wonderful Earth. 

Stay positive. Stay strong. Stay womyn. 

Best,

A Second Year Katie

Andrea Duarte-Alonso is a grad from Saint Catherine University where she received her bachelor's of Art in Political Science, Women's Studies, and English. She founded HC STCU in order to include voices that are hardly ever represented in media. Andrea is a storyteller, writer, and a political enthusiast. Her areas of interest lie in writing (check her website storiesfromunheardvoices.com that was created for her community), traveling, and fighting for social justice issues.