nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Food Essentials To Have in a Dorm

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at STCU chapter.

As a college student I tend to forget to eat, not necessarily because I don’t have food but because I don’t have time to make a pleasant meal. Sometimes we have no option but to walk out for morning class with our water bottle and a granola bar. But we must face it, our health is very important, we need to learn to eat nutritional foods! Here are a couple of food items that all college students should have in their dorm rooms and/or invest on buying. 

Fruit

• Oranges (the Halo brand is my to go as their packaging is easy to carry and these tiny oranges are good for packing)
  • Bananas (you can mix this fruit with multiple other things such as yogurt)
  • Apples (the satisfying crunch is worth the buy)

Vegetable

• Carrots (I mean the baby ones of course; buy ranch and you’ll have a quick snack)
  • Bell peppers (you can literally eat these like apples)
  • Lettuce (pick out of the bag and enjoy yourself a lettuce salad)
  • Celery (did someone say they like peanut butter?)

Protein

• Eggs (hard-boiled and scrambled)
  • Beans (pop it in the microwave)
  • Milk (a quarter gallon shall suffice if you don’t plan to finish a gallon before the expiration)
  • Almonds (easy to get snack that is filled with great protein)

Grains

• Bread (make sure it is whole brain as it has a healthier value)
  • Tortillas (check out Pinterest for quick yummy snacks)

Easy to Make

• Cereal (try to stay away from very sugar-filled ones)
  • Fruit Snacks (same as cereal)
  • Granola bars (oatmeal raisin are my favorite)

Extra Food Materials

• Olive Oil (many food recipes require oil)
  • Butter (same as oil)
  • Salt (extra seasoning, anyone?)
  • Hot sauce (if you like a little bit of a kick)

Andrea Duarte-Alonso is a grad from Saint Catherine University where she received her bachelor's of Art in Political Science, Women's Studies, and English. She founded HC STCU in order to include voices that are hardly ever represented in media. Andrea is a storyteller, writer, and a political enthusiast. Her areas of interest lie in writing (check her website storiesfromunheardvoices.com that was created for her community), traveling, and fighting for social justice issues.