Attending an All-Women’s College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at STCU chapter.

Who would want to attend college where there are no men? If there are no men, there is no football or traditional homecoming! We end up finding out that the lack of football and traditional homecoming has little to no influence in the decision making to select St. Catherine University, an all-women’s college.

According to the International Student Guide to the USA, women who attend an all-women’s institution will most likely participate in class more often, will more likely choose science programs, and end up being more successful in their careers. When attending an all-women’s college, you are more likely to feel empowered. So why aren’t more women attending more of these institutions? To figure this out I decided to venture into the thoughts of classmates on this matter.

Sagal Hadawfow, a sophomore at St. Kate’s responds, “With the negative view of all women’s institutions these days, people think those who attend all women’s schools are either lesbians or uptight or that we, attending an all-women’s college don’t know how to be in environments with men. It also has to do with people’s perceptions of feminism and to many that’s a bad thing.” 

Mirna Serrano-Barahona, a junior at St. Kate’s and at Hamline University chimes in with the differences between an all-women’s college and a co-ed college, “On the surface I can see different social interactions. I think that when you have a place like St. Kate’s, you see women empowering women. I feel like this empowerment helps us become more comfortable with our self-identity which we will take with us into our futures. As for co-ed schools, yes, women empower women, but it’s not exemplified on the same scale as an all-women’s campus.”

Other students mentioned that St. Kate’s is able to give them a comfortable setting, and encouraged a willingness to leave their shell. Many agree that they’re able to focus better and take their studies more seriously due to the female empowerment St. Kate’s teaches its students.

So what exactly drew students to St. Catherine University? Many responded with similar answers such as, the correct major and program, the class size, the big scholarships, the sense of home far away from home, and the fact that it is located in an urban area.

Higher education has an enormous price, no matter where you go, so selecting the right school is quite important. Hopefully, more high school graduates will see the great opportunities of all-women’s institutions, and apply!

Andrea Duarte-Alonso is a grad from Saint Catherine University where she received her bachelor's of Art in Political Science, Women's Studies, and English. She founded HC STCU in order to include voices that are hardly ever represented in media. Andrea is a storyteller, writer, and a political enthusiast. Her areas of interest lie in writing (check her website storiesfromunheardvoices.com that was created for her community), traveling, and fighting for social justice issues.