This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at STCU chapter.

November is Alzheimer’s Awareness Month and in honor of that, each week of the month we will have a different topic regarding the disease.

What is Alzheimer’s?

Alzheimer’s is the general term used for memory loss and other cognitive abilities that affect daily life. It is the sixth leading cause of death in the United States. Contrary to popular belief, symptoms of Alzheimer’s are not equivalent to that of aging. Although it may seem daunting, our brains age along with our body which could cause memory loss, “However, serious memory loss, confusion and other major changes in the way our minds work may be a sign that brain cells are failing” (What Is Alzheimer’s). Like college students before a final, people with Alzheimer’s begin with difficulty retaining information. It then progresses through stages starting with mild memory loss and ends with the inability to carry a conversation.

A Quick History of Alzheimer’s

Alzheimer’s history began in 1906 when “Alzheimer’s Disease is first described by Dr. Alois Alzheimer in his patient known only as Auguste D” (History of Alzheimer’s). It would be 62 years before Alzheimer’s research progresses and in 1968 cognitive measurement scales were created and was used to mark the stages of Alzheimer’s development crudely. In 1974, “Congress establishes the National Institute on Aging (NIA)” which still supports Alzheimer’s research (History of Alzheimer’s). 1983 was the year in which November became National Alzheimer’s Awareness Month. Cognex was the first drug created in 1993, and lastly, 2013 saw a launch to an international effort to find a cure by 2025.

Next week we will discuss the unknown reality of LGBT risk.

Information found in this article can be found on:

“What Is Alzheimer’s?” Alzheimer’s Disease and Dementia, www.alz.org/alzheimers-dementia/what-is-alzheimers.

“History of Alzheimer’s: Major Milestones.” Alzheimers.net, 17 Oct. 2018, www.alzheimers.net/history-of-alzheimers.

I'm Latina loud and proud! I'm originally from Arizona but I'm stuck in the winter wonderland of Minnesota. I am a pre-law student majoring in criminal justice. I am obsessed with all thing beauty, psychology, and true crime!
Andrea Duarte-Alonso is a grad from Saint Catherine University where she received her bachelor's of Art in Political Science, Women's Studies, and English. She founded HC STCU in order to include voices that are hardly ever represented in media. Andrea is a storyteller, writer, and a political enthusiast. Her areas of interest lie in writing (check her website storiesfromunheardvoices.com that was created for her community), traveling, and fighting for social justice issues.