20 Signs You Are A Social Work Major at STCU

I’m a BSW Junior and let me tell you, being a social work student is no small gig. The education and profession comes with ups and downs like any other, but social workers have quite a few experiences that are unique to the area of study. The social work program at STCU (in partnership with UST) has a unique set of relatable experiences, and here they are!

Every time someone asks you what your major is, their response is "Well, it's certainly needed" or "Good for you." Umm, thanks?

Being told you won’t make money as a social worker

When you have to endure the expedition to the Summit Building for classes...

Your reaction when people say SW’s are children snatchers

Being around social service workers who are not social workers but call themselves social workers...

Constantly being told you chose an "easy" major and just looking at them like

When people assume you will only work in CPS, welfare or government jobs

When you naturally think things in Micro, Mezzo and Macro levels

When you can’t wait to see the field placement list but then dread through the interview process

When you meditate for 10 minutes before each class begins

Performing free employment-based labor 12+ hours a week is a requirement for you to graduate...it’s the experience

Exams? What are those?

When you realize Intro and Human Behavior in the Social Environment is basically the same class

When you have a hard time figuring out if you are going to take Policy in the fall or spring semester.. Voting or Social Work Day at the Capitol

Wherever you go to school, your Social Work program is like your own little family

Social justice is your middle name

When you have to apply for the admission to major process

You feel empowered for being in a female dominated field

You have had to defend your decision for becoming a social worker

No matter what, you couldn’t imagine being on any other path...