Your Spring Entertainment Guide

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stanford chapter.

Sure the birds are tweeting and spring’s in the air but eventually you’re going to have to buckle down and study (“What? But it’s spring quarter!). When you finally get down to work, here are six great things in entertainment not to miss. (They’re great procrastination tools.)

1. “Glee”
Who doesn’t love a school that solves its problems through song?  The show will be back April 19 for its last few episodes before the season finale.  There’s Nationals to look forward to, especially after the great run of original songs at Regionals, including the catchy anthem, “Loser like Me.”  It’s a fun show and with really talented singers and great guest stars like Gwyneth Paltrow as the carefree Holly Holliday. [SPOILER ALERT] And now that Kurt and Blaine (the fantastic Darren Criss) are FINALLY together, things are about to get interesting!

2. Mumford & Sons

Even though the indie alt-rock band released their debut “Sigh No More” last year, they’re definitely worth checking out if you haven’t already heard of them. You’re not a true college hipster if you haven’t listened to their stirring songs; “The Cave”, in particular, is a passionate demonstration of love-lost. 

3. Jane Eyre
There have been many film adaptations of Charlotte Bronte’s brilliant Victorian novel but this one is beautiful.  The cinematography is breath-taking and lead actress, Mia Wasikowska, captures Jane’s fire and strength.  It also doesn’t hurt to have a handsome Mr. Rochester (Michael Fassbender) either, of course.

4. Parks and Recreation
In the realm of comedy sitcoms, “Modern Family” reigns sitcom supreme (even more so now that “Two and a Half Men” is in reruns).  However, in its third season “Parks and Recreation” has finally found its groove.  With some hilarious new additions (Adam Scott and Rob Lowe) and the old characters up to their same old stuff in the bureaucracy of local government, the show is funnier than ever.  It’s also able to reach a sort of sweet quirkiness, mostly due to Amy Poehler’s well-meaning Leslie Knope. 

5. Water for Elephants
The film, based on Sara Gruen’s bestselling novel, hits theaters April 22.  It has talented and good-looking cast include “Twilight’s” Robert Pattinson, Christoph Waltz (Oscar-winner from the fabulous “Inglourious Basterds”) and Reese Witherspoon.  With gorgeous costumes and a grandiose love story, what’s not to like?

6. Lady Gaga’s new album, “Born This Way”
“Born This Way” will be released May 23.  There might have been some controversy over her first single and its striking similarities to Madonna’s “Express Yourself” and “Vogue” but we’ve far from given up on Gaga.  After her trippy new music video it’s hard not to want more.  Let’s see if she’ll be able to top “Bad Romance.”