Tiffany Cain ’11

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stanford chapter.

Stanford is known for its academics, world renowned facilities, and of course, its commitment to diversity.   The best thing about Stanford’s diversity, though, is that it counters the usual stereotypes.  Tiffany Cain ‘11 is one of those students who break the stereotype.  Hailing from Omaha, Nebraska, Tiffany spent most of her youth working with organizations to build cultural awareness in her neighborhood.

“I was involved in an organization that encourages international understanding in youth,” Tiffany said.  “We would encourage foreign exchange programs with the kids from my school and kids in other countries.  It was awesome.”
Tiffany has come a long way from Omaha, Nebraska, but she still has not stopped fighting for human rights and cultural unity. An Archeology major with an emphasis on heritage and heritage ethics and an International Relations minor with an emphasis on human rights, Tiffany spends much her time at Stanford to promote unity among different groups of people. 

“It is necessary for us to understand that our world is getting smaller due to the internet,” she said.  “We need to understand each other and work together.”

For two summers during her college year, Tiffany spent her summers on an archeology expedition in Turkey and worked with an important team to excavate a10,000 year-old lost city. Her specific contribution was working with a specialist to excavate one of the most culturally significant houses in the city.

“Looking back, I think it was a life changing experience,” she said. “I was in a completely different country, with completely different cultures and looking into their history. It really showed be that we as Americans, need to educate ourselves about the world. We need to understand too.”

Currently, Tiffany works with the admissions office to promote diversity in future classes at Stanford.  She also works with NAACP and is the editor of Problematic, the anthropology journal at Stanford University. Cain proves to us that it is truly the little things that make people celebrities. 

“I am a normal person,” Tiffany said. “I have not invented a new technology and I doubt I will win the lottery, but I love to do what I do, which is to educate people about the importance of understanding each other.”

Cain plans to apply to Ph.D. programs in the fall and hopes to work for a historical museum during her interim period.  With her natural curly dark honey curls and her humbling yet very enthusiastic personality, she is the quintessential Stanford student.  She encourages our tolerance and understanding of others with passion, determination and class.