Songs of Heartbreak: the Breakup Playlist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stanford chapter.

You have the “Pregame Playlist,” the “Workout Playlist,” the “Study Playlist” covered, but don’t forget the often-neglected “Breakup Playlist,” for that somber occasion that happens to the best of us.  While you definitely don’t want to be that girl who can’t manage to leave her dorm following a breakup, it doesn’t hurt to drown your sorrows with Adele either –at least for a few days.  So, I’ve compiled a list of the 13 best breakup songs for your Breakup Playlist.

1. “Somebody That I Used to Know” (Gotye ft. Kimbra): Gotye has successfully created one of the best breakup songs in a long time, if not of all time.  He captures all of the feelings of betrayal and sadness at the end of a relationship (be it romantic or even just a friendship).  It seems like that someone you used to know so well you barely know at all now.  The chorus is especially hard-hitting, made more poignant with the hollow, rock edge of Gotye’s voice.  It begins with, “You didn’t have to cut me off/Make it out like it never happened and that we were nothing/And I don’t even need your love/But you treat me like a stranger and that feels so rough.”  With spot-on lyrics like these, this song will be a great addition to any playlist.  (A Canadian band called Walk Off the Earth did a great cover of this song, but as is the case most often, the original is still the best.)
  2. “Someone Like You” (Adele): Pretty much any Adele song, especially from her perfect latest album, 21, is worthy of the breakup playlist.  “Set Fire to the Rain,” about freeing oneself from a destructive relationship and “Rolling in the Deep,” one of the biggest hits of 2011 proving that is indeed not the one who was spurned that should be sad, are fierce.  Adele seems to have become the queen of striking, forlorn love songs. “Someone Like You,” though, is almost otherworldly in its wisdom and heart-wrenching in its delivery.  Seeing a former love move on is probably one of the toughest things to handle but Adele sings like someone who has seen a lot in life.
  3. “Love is a Losing Game” (Amy Winehouse): The talented songstress killed it with “Back to Black” but there is something about this softer reflection of a song.  There is heartbreak in Winehouse’s voice so it is hard for this song not to strike a deep chord.  She may have known better than many what a losing game love really is.  The ring of a past era and Winehouse’s crooning voice makes the song especially appealing.     
  4.  “Don’t Hold Your Breath” (Nicole Scherzinger): Scherzinger has never come off stronger than in her newest release.  “Don’t Hold Your Breath” has a catchy pop appeal along with a staccato hook that easily gets stuck in your head.  It is easy to sing along (or shout along) and move to the force in Scherzinger’s voice and how sorely mistaken an ex is if they ever believed you were coming back.
  5.  “Forever and Always” (Taylor Swift): Taylor Swift had a number songs about relationships that had gone wrong on her latest album, “Speak Now,” but some songs from “Fearless” seemed more memorable.  Sure “You Belong with Me” was stuck in all of our heads for better or worse, but singing along was never such a guilty pleasure as with “Forever and Always.”  We know who this song was written for, cough cough rhymes with show bonus (Joe Jonas), but there is definitely a broad appeal with a universal theme of broken promises.
  6. “Psycho” (Taylor Bright):  Unfortunately, we all have had that person in our lives who just will not take no for an answer.  It might sound harsh, but up-and-comer Taylor Bright’s song is incredibly catchy and actually more playful and fun than mean.  Singing along to a song called “Psycho” might seem strange but give it a chance and you may be pleasantly surprised.
  7. “Forget You” (Cee Lo Green):  Don’t let the up-tempo music fool you.  “Forget You” (the clean version) is a great revenge song with self-pity nowhere in sight.  After all, the best revenge is moving on and looking great while doing that.  Cee Lo captures all this with his velvety voice and fun lyrics.  Perhaps the best line is the stinger, “And although there’s pain in my chest I still wish you the best…with a forget you.” 
  8. “Behind These Hazel Eyes” (Kelly Clarkson):  Miss Clarkson not only has an incredible voice, she has become known as the queen of breakup songs.  “Since You’ve Been Gone” and her recent “Mr. Know It All” and “Stronger (What Doesn’t Kill You)” have received the most notice.  “Behind These Hazel Eyes” is like a little gem.  This song is less about style and flash and more about Clarkson’s beautiful vocal chords.  It is also more sincere and heartfelt, about a girl trying to hold in her feelings from a painful breakup.  The song builds up slowly for great impact.  Strength is also a characteristic that seems to go hand in hand with this singer.
  9. “The Cave” (Mumford & Sons): This song could be about many different things, from gaining independence to walking away from a love.  There is something in the sound of “The Cave,” though, that makes it seem like it could be about the latter.  This time around the singer wants to break off the relationship himself and is trying to resist a “siren’s call.”  The music is brilliant with a mad break-down on banjos in the end, and the lead singer’s voice cracks gorgeously as if it really is hard for him to say goodbye.  It is easy to identify with as those that are the worst for us are often the most appealing sadly.
  10. “Spotlight” (Jennifer Hudson):  The meaning of Hudson’s song is actually funny when broken down.  Get out of my spotlight!  Actually the song overall is quite spunky and allows for a bit of diva-ness (in a good way of course).  Hudson has proven that she really can sing and in this song we know we all deserve to “find somebody worthy.”
  11. “Scars” (Papa Roach):  This song indicated a change in direction for Papa Roach.  The song is so easy to sing along with that a certain writer may have gone around saying it was her theme song (until her older sister told her to stop saying that because it was weird).  In all actuality, “Scars” represents those emotional hurts and experiences we take with us on our journeys and like to learn from…hopefully.
  12. “Not Over You” (Gavin DeGraw):  Gavin DeGraw proves once again that he is the king of the repeat button.  “I Don’t Want to Be” may have seemed perfect before it was overplayed but “Not Over You” is fresh and sweet.  The song’s hook is the best part, about someone who pretends to be over their ex but is not in reality.  There is something really touching and relatable about the lines, “If you asked me how I’m doing/I would say I’m doing just fine/I would lie and say that you’re not on my mind.”
  13. “Princess of China” (Coldplay ft. Rihanna):  Coldplay and Rihanna?  Who would be better than the princess of pop rebellion and the British band that practically invented songs about heartbreak (“The Scientist” anyone?).  This latest hit tells the story of a fairytale gone wrong.  The weaving of both voices is lovely especially at the end when they both blame each other for their hurt.

Allison is the Her Campus Correspondent at Stanford University, majoring in Communication (and maybe Art History!). She is working her way up the magazine ladder in New York City with an editorial internship at InStyle Magazine under her belt.  Originally from Windermere, FL, Allison spends her free time watching football, devouring sweets and online shopping. You can follow her on Twitter at @allisonotis and on Pinterest!