The Perfect Workout for Every Occassion

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stanford chapter.

Bored of the Treadmill? Hate waiting for an elliptical to become available?  It’s a new school year and it’s time to get out of our summer holiday modes. What better way to do that than to kick of the year with a good workout routine? If you’re looking to lose some holiday weight or you’re just bored with the same ol’ workout routine, not to worry, here are some awesome and efficient workouts in and out of the gym that will keep you in shape. (Don’t forget to stretch after!!)

1. If you’re a runner… (adjust the speed to your comfort level accordingly)

Minutes Incline  Speed
For a 15 minute workout…    
0-4 8 4
4-5  1 4
5-15 1 9.0 for 20 seconds,

4.5 for 40 seconds

For a 30 minute workout…    
15-19 8 4
19-20 1 4
20-30 1 9.0 for 20 seconds,

4.5 for 50 seconds

For a 50 minute workout…    
30-34 8 4
34-35 1 4
35-45 1 9.0 for 20 seconds,

4.5 for 40 seconds

45-49 8 4
49-50 1 4

WHY THIS WORKS: This is an HIIT (high intensity interval training) workout and one of the important advantages of HIIT workouts is its efficiency. Research shows that you can burn more fat and calories in a 15 minute interval workout (3 times a week) than a 1 hour long jog. In addition, interval training can boost metabolism, improve your aerobic capacity.

2. If you like the elliptical…

Time Resistance Speed
0-4 3 Slow (Warm Up)
4-5 6 Fast
5-6 5 Medium (Recover)
6-8 7 Fast
8-9 5 Medium (Recover)
9-11 8 Fast
11-12 7 Medium (Recover)
12-14 9 Fast
14-15 7 Medium (Recover)
15-17 10 Fast
17-18 6 Medium (Recover)
18-20 9 Fast
20-25 3 Slow (Cool Down)

WHY THIS WORKS:This workout is an HIIT (high intensity interval training) workout as well. It essentially combines strength work with cardiovascular exercise. In other words, you’ll be working you butt muscles, burning calories and boosting your metabolism.

3. If you’re on a time crunch or in need of a study break…

100 Jumping Jacks
90 Crunches
80 Squats
70 Leg Lifts
60 Jumping Jacks
50 Crunches
40 Squats
30 Leg Lifts
20 Jumping Jacks
10 Minutes Cardio

WHY THIS WORKS: Best known as “The 100 Workout”, it is a fast, all-encompassing workout that any girl can do, at any time of day and from the comfort of her own room. The workout is able to exercise different part of the body, including your quads, thighs, glutes, core and hamstrings, all within a short amount of time as well as the convenience of not having to go to the gym!

Allison is the Her Campus Correspondent at Stanford University, majoring in Communication (and maybe Art History!). She is working her way up the magazine ladder in New York City with an editorial internship at InStyle Magazine under her belt.  Originally from Windermere, FL, Allison spends her free time watching football, devouring sweets and online shopping. You can follow her on Twitter at @allisonotis and on Pinterest!