OmNomNom: Her Campus Gets A Food Critic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stanford chapter.

Food at Stanford is pretty good, all things considered. Over the past several years of summer camp and weekend couch surfing, I’ve eaten at a few college cafeterias, and what we have here at Stanford is nothing to complain about. It’s healthy, varied and we have a ton of different dining options on campus. That being said, it’s always nice to break out of the bubble every once in a while and explore the Palo Alto area… the bistros! The ethnic food! The hipster cafes! Of course, it might be nicer if they didn’t all seem to come at Silicon Valley (i.e. not-so-student-friendly) prices. 

That’s why, last summer, I made a pledge to go to a different area restaurant – ranging from Redwood City to Mountain View, which are the two farthest points that I feel comfortable bike riding on El Camino Real– once a week during the school year and scout it out for Stanford (or really, any) students based on:

Food – How good the food is clearly factors into any restaurant review. Since I only have one stomach (and only so much money), unfortunately I can’t report on every dish offered, but I do my best to gauge the quality of the restaurant through or typical or thematic dishes.

Service – Wait time (to be seated, waited on, served,and presented with the bill), employee attitude, ability/willingness to accommodate special needs or requests, etc.Worthwhile to note that this usually doesn’t have too big of an effect my overallview of a restaurant.

Price – Probably one of the most important factors (if not the most important). What’s the average dish price? Is it somewhere you can go alone/with friends, or should you wait until Parents Weekend? Are there any coupons for it in the Stanford directory/unofficial guide, or student discounts?

Setting – For students who don’t have a car at school (like me), how easy is it to get to from campus by walking or bike riding? Is it worth renting a Zipcar for? Is it close to any cool stores, movie theaters, etc? Overall, is it an enjoyable and at least semi-convenient place to have a meal?

Occasion – Is this a good setting for a date? Which date (first, second, anniversary, etc)? How about group stuff: club or team celebrations, senior dinners, dorm banquets, group dates?

Let me know if you have any suggestions! That can mean places you like and want to share with the rest of the (Her Campus) world, or that you’ve always been curious. Or do you feel like contributing your own thoughts or questioning my credentials? Go for it, because I don’t really have any — other than a knack for cooking and a love of going out for lunch. These are just my opinions. And a great excuse to eat in the real world.