Last Minute Tips To Get Your Bod Bikini-Ready

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stanford chapter.

You feel it.  The weather is getting nice, the heat is picking up along with your desire to relax on the beach or jump into a nice cold pool.  You start seeing all those cute bikinis in magazines or in commercials and freak out thinking “I’m not ready yet!”  How do you get bathing-suit ready in a timely manner?  Here are some quick tips that will have you feeling great in no time.

Drink more water…before meals.

Beverages during meals lead to more bloating.  If you drink water or another healthy beverage before you eat, you will not only cut down on bloating but also it will help fill you up so you don’t overeat.

Replace snacks with fruits and veggies.
Let’s face it.  Most of the time it’s that double-chocolate cake or potato chips that get us into trouble.  By replacing snacks with fruits and veggies you’ll satisfy your hunger and help curve some of those cravings.

Eat what you crave…in small portions.
Don’t be afraid to treat yourself once in a while to what you really crave.  Think about what you really want.  This way you can avoid bingeing.  Try the French rule – 3 bites of something like a dessert will hit the spot.  Another trick: If you’re making cupcakes or cookies, you don’t have to make a plateful.  Make a few and share some with friends.

Count calories – Try the Weight Watchers plan. 
You don’t have to sign up or anything, just try counting the calories you take in during the day.  It may sound exasperating but it’ll actually give you a better sense of what you’re eating.  It takes about 1200-1500 calories for women to lose weight (depending on activity level, etc.) Don’t like that plan?  Maybe keep a journal instead.

Pay attention to the size and color of your plates.
Eat your meals on smaller plates.  It may sound silly but sight is important and it will be easier to eat less.  Also, plates in colors that are more soothing, like blues and purples are better instead of appetizing colors like yellow and red (think about all those fast food places – hello golden arches!)

Don’t skip meals!
Skipping meals is not a healthy way to lose weight.  Not only will you be extremely grouchy and light-headed, you will be more likely to overeat later.  More frequent, smaller meals are better than no meals at all and then huge meals to compensate.  

Pick an activity to make sure you work out.
There are few people who actually enjoy working out.  Eventually, though, it starts to feel good and constructive.  The important thing is to choose an activity you actually like.  Try something different and fun like yoga, swimming or even a dance class with a friend.  Who knows, maybe even a wind-surfing class?

Set small goals.
By setting smaller goals you won’t be setting yourself up for failure, especially if you have a large goal you want to meet.  If you take it a step at a time, even 5 pounds makes a difference, you can feel good, keep going and even reward yourself.