Wellness > Sex + Relationships

How To Tell If You’re The Crazy Girlfriend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stanford chapter.

All girls have one thing in common. We hate crazy girlfriends. If your best friend is a guy your biggest fear is that this girlfriend is the one that’s going to slit your throat… or at least try to make you guys, like, stop being friends. It’s easy to call out other girls for being psycho b’s, but let’s face it: we all have the potential. Fall too hard for a guy and you can go from being a chill bro to a jealous lunatic with a few backhanded comments. From the mouths of bros (unidentified because they’re interested in keeping their game), here are some of the things they hate about crazy (ex)girlfriends:

What do I hate most about crazy girlfriends? They never let you hang up the phone. “ I need to go” “What, I’m not important enough to you?”
So, it’s the end of the year and you’re not going to be seeing your guy for three months – enough time for him to take a road trip to Vegas where the girls are twice as hot and three times as slutty. O.K., summer break is a long time, but don’t let your imagination run away with you. Let’s face it, we can be as manipulative and overbearing as we want – if a guy is going to cheat, then he will and if he’s not, then he won’t. Trust that yours is a winner.

Oh man, the thing I hate the most about crazy girlfriends? They always threaten to take away sex if you don’t give them what they want.
Haha, do girls actually do this? Whatever, this is your prerogative.

What do crazy girlfriends do? They’re super nice to your friends and then bitch about them later.
The smart psycho girlfriends ones are manipulation masters (the dumb psycho girlfriends don’t think to hide the bitchy). If you ever find yourself doing this – cool it. Unless his “friend” is some girl who’s beenobviously macking on him (guys can be so oblivious sometimes), remember – his friends were there before you were. A real bro will pick his friends over his girl any day, and let’s face it – would you really respect him if he didn’t? But, if the situation really is the former, you have our stamp of approval to dig your claws in. Girls who go after guys with girlfriends? Not clutch.

Dude, I hate the crazy girlfriends that flirt with other guys for attention.
Oh man, this is just bad form. You shouldn’t need any other validation than your boyfriend’s. He wouldn’t be dating you if you weren’t hot, funny, fun, etc. etc. so stop looking for confidence boosts. Also, what would you do if your boyfriend flirted with other girls for gits and shiggles? You’d rip him a new one! No double standards.

Crazy girlfriends always look through your texts!
Nothing says “crazy” more than trying to keep tabs on the girls your boyfriend is talking to. No matter how innocent the conversation, anything can be construed as “flirty” if you’re paranoid enough. Step back, breath and fight the urge to read the text from the stripper name that just popped onto his phone while he was in the bathroom. It’ll only drive you insane.

As I was asking my friends what makes a crazy girlfriend, you know, “crazy,” one of them actually had something more profound to say than just “dude, man, just huge freakin’ mood swings man.” He mulled over it for a minute before saying, “Doesn’t it all just boil down to … crazy girlfriends are crazy because … they’re selfish?” Sure, your life is your own, and don’t ever let a guy dictate your future, but don’t make his life miserable either. Appreciate what you’ve got, and don’t make demands even you know are ridiculous. You’re with him because you love him, right? Act like it.