Fall TV Shows Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stanford chapter.

“Ringer” (CW): The premise of double identity is promising, but unfortunately, the show fails to deliver as Sarah Michelle Gellar does not live up to her “Buffy” days.  Overall the show translates as a bit melodramatic.  My prediction is that “Ringer” will not make it past its first year but who knows?

“Hart of Dixie” (CW): Cute story?  Check.  Attractive, good actors?  Check.  A sweet little town reminiscent of the one in “Gilmore Girls”?  Check.  Rachel Bilson (who is adorable herself, not to mention wears such great clothes on the show) plays Dr. Zoe Hart who is from New York City but finds out that her real father was a doctor who worked in a small town in Alabama.  She must orient herself while working at the practice her father left her.  Throw in what are bound to be a few love triangles (Zoe likes a lawyer who happens to be engaged and also crushes on the town bad boy) and “Hart of Dixie” is fun, sweet show worth checking out. 

“The Secret Circle” (CW): This may be one of the fall’s most exciting new shows.  Sure there isa bit of campiness and cheese associated with some of the CW shows about the paranormal, but that’s what makes it so enjoyable!  In this case, a group of teenagers (who all look like models, of course) discover they are witches, hence the “secret circle.”  Tune in for the suspense, romance, magic and beautiful setting.

“The X Factor” (FOX): “X Factor” is part “American Idol,” part “America’s Got Talent,”  and may not be quite the ratings juggernaut it was expected to be, but don’t count Simon Cowell’s show out yet.  The auditions were more compact than “American Idol” and focused more on the positive singers than the awful ones.  “X Factor” also seems to have more of a personal touch, focusing on the incredible change the win could have potentially on the competitors.  There is a stronger dynamic between the judges as well: Simon Cowell, L.A. Reid (possibly outshining Cowell with his effortless cool), Paula Abdul and Nicole Scherzinger.  It will be interesting to see if a bigger superstar comes out of this show than “American Idol.”

“New Girl” (FOX): One of the few funny, stand-out comedies of the fall season, “New Girl” proves that boys really do make the best roommates sometimes.  Zooey Deschanel is killer as the adorable, quirky lead.  She moves in with three guys after her boyfriend cheats on her, and the rest is history.  Each of the guys has his own personality: the sensitive guy, the cocky douche and the socially awkward one.  It’s Deschanel, though, that shows that there is no one better to be than yourself.

“Whitney” (NBC): Whitney Cummings is the creator of two new comedies this year, “Whitney” and “2 Broke Girls.” “Whitney” shows a lot of potential with some snort-out-loud moments.  Whitney, a 20-something, is determined not to get sucked into marrying her long-term, live-in boyfriend, Alex.  The actor who plays Alex, Chris D’Elia, is one to look out for.  

“Up All Night” (NBC): Combine Christina Applegate and Will Arnett (everyone’s favorite “Arrested Development” magician) and hilarity ensues.  “Up All Night” features a couple trying to navigate the new waters of parenthood without giving up the carefree lifestyle of their youth.  Maya Rudolph steals the scene as Ava, Applegate’s boss, friend and talk show host.  Be warned though; this show can get a little over-the-top.

“Two Broke Girls” (CBS): The classic “Laverne & Shirley” duo plot takes on a modern twist here.  Kat Dennings is brilliant as a sarcastic, jaded waitress in Brooklyn who’s never had anything come easy. Her counterpoint is the daughter of a Bernie Madoff-type who was once filthy rich but lost it all after her father’s fraud was revealed.

“Revenge” (ABC): Emily VanCamp holds her own as a young woman who is seeking revenge on those who wronged her father and led to his imprisonment and ultimate death. Be warned: this is not for the faint of heart, which makes “Revenge” exciting and unpredictable.  Madeleine Stowe also makes a stellar comeback here as the evil queen of the Hamptons, Victoria.

“Pan Am” (ABC): This show truly escorts us into the past, almost like a history lesson, only glossier.  The show is reminiscent of the likes of “Mad Men” with the perfect hairstyles and pretty dresses.  However, expect some plot twists: one of the hostesses is a spy working for the CIA against the Russians.

“Terra Nova” (FOX): Television critics speculated that “Terra Nova” was going to be like “Lost,” a ratings superstar charged with electrifying drama week to week. Take it from someone who stuck with “Lost” through all six seasons; “Terra Nova” is neither as complex nor as frustrating as the latter.  It’s fun for what it is though.  The show is set in the future when mankind has worn out earth’s resources (and let me tell you it is not pretty).  The only hope is for a select group of people to travel back in time to the Jurassic Period.  The main focus is a family of 5.  “Terra Nova” does not lack the gadgets, time travel, dinosaurs, etc., but at times it can feel a little redundant.