Angelina Cardona ’11

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stanford chapter.

It is important for a celebrity to have two things: charisma and a great stylist.  You need to be able to draw in a crowd, to make everyone feel connected…and to look fabulous.  Last night, I ran into Angelina Cardona at the annual Stanford Midnight Breakfast, and she glowed even in her Stanford Dining cook smock.  Angelina comes off as your average Stanford student – she’ll be graduating in June with a degree in International Relations and plans to work for Teach For America in the fall as an elementary school teacher. She’s also the ASSU President. 

Angelina grew up in close-knit community in Sparks, Nevada. She credits her passion for education to her supportive family.

“My mom is a teacher and my dad is a store manager,” Angelina said. “They are both very hard workers and have taught me to enjoy life and work hard while doing it.” Angelina’s background comes through in her performance as ASSU President.  For the past year, she has worked to bring unity, diversity, school pride and a sense of ownership to the Stanford undergraduate population.  But while her ASSU duties to take much of her time, they don’t keep her from being a fun college student with a passion for people.

A recently self-proclaimed vegetarian who loves sushi and Mexican food, Angelina started her Stanford days as a Branner freshman before she became an RA at Trancos.  Her proudest moment thus far on The Farm was the end of year banquet at Trancos, where she witnessed the unity and affection amidst the freshman that she had looked out for throughout the year.  Some of Angelina’s favorites include “Glee”, “Brothers and Sisters”, “The Sandlot” and the color orange.

“My favorite color is orange,” she said. “When I was little all the boys liked blue, all the girls liked pink. I wanted something in the middle that we all could share.”

Whether you hang out with Angelina in her ASSU office, chill with her in her dorm room in BOB, or just yell “ I see you Angelina” as she walks to class, we are all impacted by her enthusiasm, loyalty and passion for Stanford and for her peers.  With her cardigan, jeans, and funky yet conservative earrings, she brings a touch of style to her ball-busting role as the undergraduate president.  She is a true celebrity: she works hard and she makes that work look effortless.