This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Vincent chapter.

Winter is coming…. And in some parts of the country it’s practically already here. Winter time can be an absolute nightmare when it comes to your skin. From chapped hands and a seemingly permanently red face, you need to up your skin care routine. These products are tried and true and are the best thing that has ever happened to my winter skin.

*please note: these are products that work for me. I am not endorsing one brand over another. Also, be sure to check the ingredients in each product in case you are allergic to any of them before you use them.*

For your gorgeous face:

I highly recommend these two products, both made by Cetaphil, are two of the most effective products when it comes to helping me combat dry, patchy, flakey, winter skin. My skin has always been on the drier side, so the products I use are specifically designed to help dry skin. Cetaphil is a great brand because they even make products for those of you who may be more on the oily side of the spectrum and even generic, gentle skin cleansers.

(Pictured: Cetaphil Daily Hydrating Lotion for Dry, Extra Dry Skin and Cetaphil Daily Facial Cleanser.)

For your lips/nose:

Vaseline is a great product because it can be used for just about anything. During the winter, when my lips and nose are often cracked and chapped from the breathing the cold air or rubbing my nose, I specifically target these areas. It’s a super heavy-duty product and definitely gave me better results than basic Auqaphor. It’s also super helpful to use if my moisturizer isn’t cutting it and I’m still flakey and dry in certain spots. This is a must have in my winter skin care routine.

(Pictured: Vaseline Petroleum Jelly Original)

Hands:

In the winter, there is always at least one day where I totally forget to walk out the door with gloves and my hands pay for it dearly. My hands turn red, crack, and in some cases even bleed. But thank goodness my grandmother gave me a container of the greatest product in the world: Bag Balm. This stuff has a great history; Bag Balm started as a product for farmers to use on their dairy cows when their udders got chapped, but then when the housewives saw how soft it may their husband’s hands, they wanted to use it too. It

has a similar texture to Vaseline, but this probably shouldn’t be used on your face unless it was absolutely necessary. When my hands get chapped in the winter, I simply lather this stuff all over my hands at night when I’m ready for bed and then cover my hands in cotton socks, so it looks like I have mittens on go to sleep. When I peel the socks off the next morning, my hands were so soft and moisturized, it was like I never went out without gloves in the first place.

(Pictured: Bag Balm)

For your rockin’ bod:

I don’t think I need to tell you how absolutely wonderful baby oil is for your skin, but it is my best friend in the winter. Just a few drops of this and my skin is instantly hydrated. Less is more with this stuff so be sure not to use too much, or you will be really greasy and abnormally shiny for this time of year. A great substitute as well is extra-virgin coconut oil which has just as many benefits as baby oil. It is simply a matter of preference.

Image Credit: Target

That’s my winter skin products/routine. I encourage readers to share their products and if they have any suggestions or concerns about the products listed, please feel free to reach out!

HCXO,

Catherine

History and Secondary Education Major at Saint Vincent College.