Why What’s Left Unsaid Always Says it All

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Vincent chapter.

In today’s world, we are always connected through the use of the modern technology we are surrounded with. We can post, tweet, share our every move and feeling. This has made communication easier yet more complicated all at the same time. One of the biggest complications that today’s technology and social media deals with are relationships. As if they are not already complicated enough. Technology can be used to strengthen a relationship or used to destroy it with one simple click. However, even in such a connected world, sometimes we do not hit send. We do not hit post. We do not hit like. Instead the answer is silence and silence says it all. 

1. Silence says, “I have nothing left to say.”

This is the obvious one. At some point, one side eventually has to stop responding and that side just does not have anything left to say. Or sometimes they have everything to say, but nothing is worth actually saying in the situation. It will only make it harder and the situation worse. So really you should be thankful for the silence because it is saving you even more heartache and from eating the rest of the chocolate ice cream in your freezer. 

2. Silence says, “I stopped caring.”

You do not ignore people you care about. Silence means they have stopped caring. You are not worth a response anymore and that is just the cold hard truth. As hard as that is to accept, it can be done. Watch a Grey’s Anatomy episode, have a good cry, drink some wine and get over it sister because when a heart breaks it don’t break even and we did not need The Script to tell us that one. 

3. Silence says, “You deserve better.”

Silence turns in to being the closure you need. At the bottom of that cartoon of ice cream lie the words, “Put down the spoon, wipe off your face, and get off your butt because you deserve better and you are not going to find it at the bottom of this pint!” You deserve responses. You deserve someone who cares. You deserve better. And that is when the silence becomes your power. 

In the end, silence is loud. Silence is not always the cowardly response. Sometimes silence is the best response for the situation. One must accept that silence is the closure they are going to receive. Moving on depends on the only person you can depend on, yourself. And there is no right or wrong answer for how you get that job done. You finally get to do you and as Justin Bieber preaches and “love yourself.” Plus, social media and technology today can have your back in these matters. Also the nifty creation of the block button to initiate total and complete 

Hey! I am Alexis Satterfield and I am an accounting major at Saint Vincent College! I am a self proclaimed professional shopper who loves the little things in life. I love my dogs, sales, just about every food in the world, and running is my favorite escape. I believe in hard work leading to success and the nice guy finishing first. This year is my last year at St. Vincent College and I am very excited to have Her Campus beginning to make an impact here at SVC! 
Kaura Bassegio is a Saint Vincent College Alumna with a degree in marketing. As founder and former President of the St. Vincent chapter, Kaura worked on pitching ideas, editing, and leading a large team of women. Throughout her years at Saint Vincent, Kaura worked in the retail industry where she received her internship at American Eagle Outfitters. Now that she is a college graduate, Kaura will be focused on family, friends, and most importantly, finding a job! She is interested in fashion and her dream is to live and work in New York City. Follow her on Instagram: kauralbassegio