Why it’s okay not to Know

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Vincent chapter.

“What are you doing after graduation?” Alas, this question is one among the many dreaded questions that haunt each of our graduating seniors. It’s a stressful time that comes for us all much too quickly, let me tell you. Even if you are one of the blessed chosen ones who actually do have plans, it’s still another nerve wracking time of transition. So, how do we go about answering this question if we’re not really even sure ourselves? I’ll be honest with you, I’ve spent a lot of time trying to dodge this question. Much to no avail, I presume. But, I feel as though we’re often missing a much bigger picture when we are faced with life decisions. Here’s some tips to help keep us in perspective:

FAKE IT UNTIL YOU MAKE IT.

Honestly, I think I’ve said this sole phrase every WEEK of college to get me up until this point. To say that I’m a wizard in financial accounting would be a lie but to say that I’m still graduating in less than 50 days despite that is not. Remember that even though you may be struggling right now, doesn’t mean that you will struggle forever.

Don’t just act confident, BE confident.

Similar to the last point, if you at least act confident, you can most certainly charm your way into things. But, can you imagine how much more you could accomplish if you just simply work on believing in yourself. A history teacher of mine once said, it doesn’t matter what you say.. as long as you say it confidently and seem as though you’ve got it all together, you can convince anybody. Now, I’m not saying go out and lie to everyone to test this out… but, you get the picture. 

Follow Your Own Heart… Even If It Doesn’t Make You Any Money.

Cheesy as it sounds, there’s no use in being a big shot at a Fortune 500 Company if you compromise your whole being and end up miserable every day. Risky as it sounds, if you don’t do something you’re passionate about, you’ll end up getting stuck; whether that’s in life, at a job, in a relationship or whatever because you’re going about carrying on with whatever that lifestyle requires. So whether you’re an aspiring writer, or singer, or photographer, etc… just know that your voice and your style is unique and most certainly something the world needs more of. Plus, you never know when you’ll make it big!

Remember that you have loads of time!

• Please don’t stay too upset that you may have got passed up for that huge position. Or that you just went on an interview and didn’t get a call back. Because if there is one thing you can depend on, it’s time. But use it wisely!

Overall Bearcats, in life, you don’t get extra points for style and grace; no matter how messy things may be, it’s simply that you get there in the end. So get out there and run your race!

-xoxo, HCSVC 

Lisa Mason is currently a Junior Marketing major with a minor in Management. She is a member of Activities Programming Board, Women in Business, Singers, and works as an Admissions Ambassador at Saint Vincent College. Since she has a passion for meeting and helping others; she hopes to use her field of Marketing to become a professor as well as become a Marketing Manager of a firm someday in a major city. You can find her enjoying time with her friends, drinking salted caramel cappuccinos, or blogging. Also, it wouldn't be the craziest thing in the world to say that she is a Netflix, caffeine, and retail therapy enthusiast. Follow her on Instagram: masonjar_17 and check out her blog at http://youngandtwenty.blogspot.com/.
Juli Cehula

St Vincent '18

Hello there! I am the Campus Correspondent of the Her Campus chapter at Saint Vincent College. As a senior psychology major, I've made the most of my time in undergrad and am excited for all the doors I have opening ahead of me. I can definitely thank Her Campus for giving me invaluable skills. As a future psychologist, I hope that my articles (and the chapter's) are able to make you feel empowered, motivate you to start a conversation, and be kind. As a hero of mine has said, "If you do not take control over your time and your life, other people will gobble it up. If you don't prioritize yourself, you constantly start falling lower and lower on your list."- Michelle Obama. Be the change you want to see in the world, and smile. Always smile!