Life > Experiences

Why Don’t You Just Meet Me in the Middle?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Vincent chapter.

Middle school, riding in the middle seat, and being the middle man, all have a commonality, they’re not the best, but they’re not the worst, aka average. Nobody wants to be described as average. Today’s society creates this stereotype that being the middle child is average, stinks and is the worst position to be in, but honestly, I wholeheartedly disagree.

Though people can easily think of why being in the middle is bad, I can think of so many reasons why being in the middle is awesome. I think being in the middle gives you drive and passion. You always want to achieve something better.

Middle school is notoriously known for being your awkward phase, at least for me it was…though that trend hasn’t seemed to end. Middle school is where you grow as a person, get a phone, meet new people, start going to school dances, and have small meaningless arguments that consist of who stole your seat at the lunch table… it’s honestly so innocent and light. Most people hate riding in the middle seat but think about it this way: you get to see all the scenery through the windshield, you don’t have to control the windows, you get not just one, but TWO shoulders to sleep on for the long rides and you get to kick your feet up on the middle console….can you say extra leg room?! The middle man in a fight is someone who is a mediator. This seems like a stressful position but, think about it, you’re not in the argument which is a huge plus.

I have an older sister, Sarah, who is 23 and honestly one of the most successful people I have ever met. She has traveled almost all of Europe, gotten her Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, is attending grad school to get her MBA, has a wicked strong resume, is a little clumsy but makes it work, she can tell an amazing story and lives a life full of adventure and pure happiness. Alicia, my little sister who is 16, impresses me each and every day. She is a literal genius, extremely athletic, kind, and caring. She also has a sense of humor and some sass. She has achieved so much for such a young person. She’s been on dean’s list every semester, volunteered throughout the US, been to Europe and has such a successful future ahead.

When I was younger, I always felt the pressure of being the middle child, trying to one up my awesome sisters. I hated not being able to play the “I’m the oldest” or the “I’m the youngest” card. The oldest gets things first, always gets the front seat and gets to stay out later than everyone else. The youngest gets things earlier than both the older siblings and is the baby of the family. I always thought, “hmm, why don’t I get any of this?” This is where my immaturity and naivety got the best of me.

To me, being the middle child is so much more than what you don’t get but it is what you DO get! Your older sibling works so hard to get your parents to allow them to do things, which carves a nice path for you but also allows you to create your own path while guiding your younger sibling. You are the closest in age to both of your siblings, so you can relate to both of them. Since you’re the middle you can borrow both of their clothes, basically doubling your wardrobe! As the middle child you get to steal your older sibling line of “I’m older” and use their argument for why they deserve something on your little sister, but you also get to use the “I’m younger” and mend your little sisters bomb argument for why you deserve it to your older sister. Being the middle child is literally the best of both worlds.

I think the perfect saying to explain why I love being the middle child is, “First is the worst, second is the BEST, third is the one with the hairy chest”. Sorry Sarah and Alicia, the middle spot is mine, love you both but wouldn’t trade being in the middle for the world.

HCXO,

Hannah

Just a New Hampshire girl trying to make it in a Pennsylvania world! I have a bad case of the travel bug, adore tea with friends and live for new experiences. Sophomore Marketing Major with a Management Minor