This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Vincent chapter.

In the spirit of the beginning of fall, I thought I would share some reasons why Halloween is my favorite holiday of all. Yes, I know I’m sure most of you are Christmas lovers, which I suppose I can understand. I mean who does not love spending time with your family and getting presents? And the answer is crazy people like myself. It’s not that I hate Christmas I just think it gets boring after a while. I mean you get to be a completely different person for a day, or a night, every Halloween. How cool is that? Okay so here they are: eight reasons why I think Halloween is the best holiday. 

1. Free candy 

Need I say more? Who does not love free candy? I mean come on, my roommate and I even have a sign in our room that says, “You’re never too old to beg for free candy.”

2. Costumes 

You get to be someone else for a night. Who does not want that? To dress up as whatever you want to be for the night. It’s amazing to not be yourself, even if it’s just for a night.

3. Decorating 

I mean maybe it’s just me, but I absolutely love decorating for Halloween. Sometimes I love it more than Halloween itself. In fact, my roommate and I actually decorated our room for Halloween toward the beginning of September just to express our love for the holiday. 

4. Pumpkin Carving 

Okay so just because I’m not that great at pumpkin carving does not mean I don’t try to do it every year. I know that I’m no pumpkin artist, and it will never look as cool as it does online, but what’s the harm in trying?

5. Haunted Houses 

I don’t know what it is about haunted houses or trails that makes them so fun, but it never fails that I got to at least two every year. I think it’s the adrenaline rush you get when you’re scared, not knowing what might pop out next is kind of controlled fear which to me is exciting.

6. Halloween/ Horror Movies 

Similar to haunted houses, I love the adrenaline associated with horror movies. Also, Halloween movies are great, they are my favorite thing to watch. Maybe because I absolutely love Tim Burton movies like Corpse Bride, The Nightmare Before Christmas, Beetle Juice, Sweeney Todd, and Sleepy Hollow, just to name a few. 

7. Ghost Stories 

Maybe this isn’t everyone’s favorite, but I know it’s one of mine. I guess to me they’re like the cool side of history especially since I am not too fond of the subject. I mean hearing ghost stories about Saint Vincent is honestly one of the coolest things to me.

8. Halloween Parties 

And no, I don’t mean the trashy ones where everyone’s drunk and does not even remember what happened that night by the next morning. I mean costume parties, getting together with some friends, dressing up and having a good time. Have a little costume contest for fun and I mean who does not love Halloween themed food? 

Casey Kalp

St Vincent

Hi! I'm Casey Kalp, I'm an Integrated Science major with a dual minor in Psychology and Children's Studies at Saint Vincent College. I am apart of Alpha Phi Omega, Alpha Lambda Delta, SVC Orientation Team, Activities Programming Board, and I am also a Fred Roger's Scholar. I will be entering my sophomore year in the Fall of 2017 and plan on graduating from Saint Vincent in the year 2020. After that I will attend to Physical Therapy School where I will reach my ultimate career goal of becoming a pediatric physical therapist. In my free time I enjoy singing, writing, reading, and hanging out with friends. 
Juli Cehula

St Vincent '18

Hello there! I am the Campus Correspondent of the Her Campus chapter at Saint Vincent College. As a senior psychology major, I've made the most of my time in undergrad and am excited for all the doors I have opening ahead of me. I can definitely thank Her Campus for giving me invaluable skills. As a future psychologist, I hope that my articles (and the chapter's) are able to make you feel empowered, motivate you to start a conversation, and be kind. As a hero of mine has said, "If you do not take control over your time and your life, other people will gobble it up. If you don't prioritize yourself, you constantly start falling lower and lower on your list."- Michelle Obama. Be the change you want to see in the world, and smile. Always smile!