This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Vincent chapter.

Sometimes it seems like there is not much to do in the area surrounding campus, but that could not be further from the truth! One of my favorite places to visit that is just a short trip away in Greensburg is the Westmoreland Museum of American Art. Here are some of the reasons I love it so much, and why you should plan a visit yourself.

Image Credit: Visit Pittsburgh

1. The Art

The Westmoreland Museum of American Art (WMAA) features both a permanent collection of art by American artists and visiting exhibits by both local artists and those from around the country. The art styles on display are as varied as the cultures and geography that make up the United States. The collection includes more traditional, early American paintings, as well as modern and abstract works. (Not to mention the gardens and architecture of the building – landscaping and architecture are definitely art forms.)

Image Credit: Laurel Highlands

1. Free Admission & Parking

Talk about accessible art! As a broke college student, I know the value of free things. There is not much better than being able to visit a beautiful museum for free, especially one that is as nice as the WMAA. (Also, it is a great place for some aesthetic pics to add to your Insta.)

Image Credit: Facebook

1. Café Marchand

The French-inspired Café Marchand just recently opened up inside the museum’s gift shop. I have not had the chance to try it out yet, but with coffee, beer and wine, and a seasonal, locally-sourced menu, I just know that it is going to add another level to the already wonderful WMAA. (By the way, it is being run in partnership with the French-native chefs and owners of Latrobe’s own French Express. You have got to love supporting local businesses!)

Image Credit: Facebook

1. The Events

The events at WMAA are top notch. The museum does a great job of combining the visual art they display with music, food and drink, and other art forms, all while keeping their events accessible to the community. Upcoming events include poetry readings, Art on Tap (a truly genius combination of art, live music, and adult beverages), Greensburg ArtsWalks, and various music and art demonstrations. There are also many events oriented toward kids if you have some little ones in your life to entertain for the day. (Bonus: Most of the events at WMAA are also free!)

Image Credit: Laurel Highlands

As you can see, the WMAA is a local treasure that we all should take the opportunity to check out. You can find out more info on the museum at their website: https://thewestmoreland.org/, as well as on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest.

HCXO and explore Westmoreland Co.!

Rachel

Rachel Keller

St Vincent '21

Feminist. Biology major, Spanish minor. Musical theater enthusiast. Still figuring everything out.