This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Vincent chapter.

We’ve all been there…scrolling through Netflix for hours on end trying to find something new to watch, when you finally just settle with an old favorite. Personally, it seems like I end up doing this every time. So, I finally did some research and found 5 newer shows that are fresh and in style. The best part is that they are super short, so between filling up on turkey and shopping like a maniac, you could totally binge these over Thanksgiving break. Here are the five hottest shows to binge watch right now:

1. The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina (Netflix)

Yes, the Halloween season may be over, but this show has it all – teenage drama, comedy, and a little bit of horror. This show stands alone from its companion from the same producer, Riverdale, with more involvement in witchcraft and the horror genre. Some critics have turned their heads at this show because it is not like the original comedy from the 1990s, but that is what makes this show fresh and fun.

Number of Seasons: 1

Number of Episodes: 10 per season

Length of Each Episode: about 50 to 60 minutes

2. Elite (Netflix)

This Spanish teen soap opera has recently become a hit on Netflix. After only two weeks of being available on Netflix, it received a season two pickup. This drama is about three students from the working class who start attending a private school, where many secrets are held. However, this is not just another teen drama; the show turns into a murder mystery that will have you on the edge of your seat. With broken down stereotypes and strong familial and friendly relationships and dynamics, you’ll want to put Elite on your “must watch” list immediately.

Seasons: 1

Number of Episodes: 8 per season

Length of Each Episode: about 50 minutes

3. The Good Place (Netflix)

This critically acclaimed show is one of the most popular on television right now, but it is popular for a great reason. The Good Place is wonderfully written with witty jokes and plenty of plot twists that will keep you on your toes. When Eleanor ends up in the afterlife, she learns she has made it to the “good place”; however, she soon realizes it was a mistake and of course, insanity ensues. This is a feel good, top notch comedy that is great to watch any time of day or night, no matter how you are feeling.

Number of Seasons: 2, currently in its 3rd season

Number of Episodes: 12 to 13 per season

Length of Episodes: about 20 minutes

4. Nailed It! (Netflix)

This Netflix original show is not your average baking competition show. Amateur (and I mean very amateur) bakers compete to make the best Insta-worthy looking baked good creations. However, these contestants make the Worst Cooks in America contestants look like professionals. Some do not know any skills in the kitchen and make the worst looking and worst tasting baked goods ever. The commentary from the host and the judges makes this show even more hilarious and will be sure to have you falling off your seat by the end of each episode with the big reveal of each baker’s creation.

Number of Seasons: 2

Number of Episodes: 6 to 7 per season

Length of Episodes: about 30 minutes

5. The Crown (Netflix)

Based on the life of Queen Elizabeth II, The Crown tells the story of the British monarchy during Elizabeth’s reign from the 1920s to modern times. As the time goes on, the show demonstrates how relationships and politics influenced the events that shaped the later years of the British rule. This show is extremely intriguing, even if you don’t like British history. The true stories will amaze you and it is an extremely female-empowering show, as you witness Elizabeth stepping into the role of the leader of the country.

Seasons: 2

Number of Episodes: 10 per season

Length of Episodes: about 60 minutes

I hope these television show recommendations will entertain you over the short break, but don’t forget to spend time with family and friends in between your binge-watching time!

HCXO,

Alison

Alison Boyer

St Vincent '19

Hi, I'm Alison! I am a senior majoring in Integrated Science and minoring in Public Health at Saint Vincent College. I am a theater geek who loves to travel and go on adventures, especially to New York City. In my spare time, you can find me belting Broadway showtunes, dancing around to music from Taylor Swift, or binge-watching my favorite TV shows!