Tips on How to be a Freshman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Vincent chapter.

Tips for SVC Freshman

Okay, so you’re probably thinking that we could have published this article the first week of school, but we want you to at least be a freshman for a little bit without knowing the tricks to help yourself when you’re walking through campus and mingling with upperclassmen.

1. Don’t wear your ID around your neck on a lanyard.

But seriously, don’t. You need your ID for two things, meals and getting into Benny. Therefore, tuck it into your front pocket of your backpack, use a super awesome phone card holder, or keep it in a wallet. This is something that all freshman feel the need to do, but I never understand why.

1. Keep out of Rooney.

Yes, we know your freshman self wants to have a good time on the weekend with upperclassmen, and Rooney but seem like a safe place to be, but until your friends with someone that lives there, upperclassmen aren’t going to be some friendly when you’re in your Graffiti dance t-shirt waiting for someone to just magically open the side door.

1. Study

WOW! Your General Biology I class does not have anything but tests and your first test isn’t for a month. That means you don’t have any work for a long time. WRONG! If you think that’s the case, you’ll be on your way to a meeting with Dean Kaylor quicker than you can walk from one pod to the next. This is college, and college means hard classes and actually having to maintain what you learn from freshman year throughout the rest of your life.

1. Carry your plate, in your hands.

In the caf, you’ll see trays. Don’t use them. Seriously, it’s not necessary.

1. Walk a normal pace and not in a pack of wolves.

If you didn’t already know, you’ll be sharing benny path with seniors (and some juniors, too). So, this is going to be a pretty busy walk. Just keep moving and don’t walk four people across. No one tries to get anywhere early so we’re usually in a hurry when we are walking somewhere.

1. Be yourself

It may seem cliché, but it’s important to be you. Even if we didn’t know you before, it’s pretty noticeable when someone is trying to be someone they’re not. College is about learning about yourself so stay true to who you are and people will respect you. 

Juli Cehula

St Vincent '18

Hello there! I am the Campus Correspondent of the Her Campus chapter at Saint Vincent College. As a senior psychology major, I've made the most of my time in undergrad and am excited for all the doors I have opening ahead of me. I can definitely thank Her Campus for giving me invaluable skills. As a future psychologist, I hope that my articles (and the chapter's) are able to make you feel empowered, motivate you to start a conversation, and be kind. As a hero of mine has said, "If you do not take control over your time and your life, other people will gobble it up. If you don't prioritize yourself, you constantly start falling lower and lower on your list."- Michelle Obama. Be the change you want to see in the world, and smile. Always smile!