This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Vincent chapter.

“I don’t have time.”

“Sorry, I can’t. I just don’t have time.”

“I wish I could. I don’t have the time.”

How many times have you heard these phrases or used them before? Countless. 

It’s the beginning of the semester, and some days I feel like I am already running out of time. Yes, I’m organized, and you may be too. My planner is color-coded, I am always making a to-do list, and I never leave for the day without wearing a watch. I believe that being on time translates into being late, and I’m *never* (okay, rarely) late for anything. It can often bother my friends how serious I am when it comes to being timely. 

A few reminders that I had set for catching up on a few emails and updating me for when my shift would begin at work, had broke my concentration. Whether it’s “writer’s block” or being indecisive when it comes to finding a clear direction, I had that spark that you may feel when a new idea enters your mind but you’re not quite sure how and fail to find the write words for it. 

Ta-da! I mean, tick-tock. 

Before writing this article, I was looking for some inspiration. I sat down at my desk, and brainstormed a list of ideas. What I Learned from Freshman Year; How to Join a Club that Fits You; The Best Playlist to Kickstart Your Motivation; How to Find the Best Study Spots on Campus wrote themselves down. (And hey- you may read them in the future!). Glancing around my desk, I stopped to take notice to the recent photos I had displayed and a few knick-knacks that occupied a portion of my desk. A mini-globe, a framed photo from my high school graduation, and a print of Salvador Dali’s The Persistence of Memory” (one of my favorite pieces of art) were among the items that revolved on the axis of a similar idea: time. 

“My favorite things in life don’t cost any money. It’s really clear that the most precious resource we all have is time.” – Steve Jobs

Reflect on the past. Live in the present. Plan for the future. 

It’s time to make time. 

For your studies. 

For your extracurriculars. 

For your family. 

For your friends. 

For yourself. 

The clock is ticking. We know that these four years will go too fast, and it’s time to make the most of it. Before we realize it, a framed photo from college graduation will soon mirror that high school one.

Thank you for taking some time to read my first article of this school year—I wish you a happy and healthy year!

Olivia Cerniglia is a sophomore at Saint Vincent College with a major in Communication and minor in Marketing. She is the Promotions & Events Director for MadComm. Olivia is a member of Benedictine Leadership Studies, Residence Life, Alpha Lambda Delta, and Women in Business. When she is not watching Scandal on Netflix (and dreaming of working as a White House Correspondent or filling the shoes of Olivia Pope), you can find her at the coffee shop with a good book. Follow her on Instagram @ocerniglia.
Juli Cehula

St Vincent '18

Hello there! I am the Campus Correspondent of the Her Campus chapter at Saint Vincent College. As a senior psychology major, I've made the most of my time in undergrad and am excited for all the doors I have opening ahead of me. I can definitely thank Her Campus for giving me invaluable skills. As a future psychologist, I hope that my articles (and the chapter's) are able to make you feel empowered, motivate you to start a conversation, and be kind. As a hero of mine has said, "If you do not take control over your time and your life, other people will gobble it up. If you don't prioritize yourself, you constantly start falling lower and lower on your list."- Michelle Obama. Be the change you want to see in the world, and smile. Always smile!