SVC Sports Teams’ Spring Break Recap

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Vincent chapter.

Another spring break has gone and passed at Saint Vincent College. While most of us went home or ventured off on a mini vacation, our sports teams spent their spring break practicing and participating in numerous games. Here’s a bit of information about a few of the teams’ spring break trips!

Men’s Lacrosse

Our men’s lax team spent most of their break here on Campus! They practiced all week long but luckily had the chance to take some time off to spend Monday and Tuesday at Seven Springs Mountain Resort in Seven Springs, Pennsylvania. At Seven Springs, the boys went bowling, skied, played basketball and enjoyed a lot of team bonding. When they came back, they had to prepare for a game on Saturday, March 5 against Mount Union. The bearcats fell 14-11 in their season opener but there are plenty of games to come!

Women’s Lacrosse

Our women’s lax team traveled a bit farther than our boys did. They started out their break by playing a game in North Carolina at Methodist University. Sadly, the girls lost 16-5 but they didn’t let the loss affect their spring break. Soon after the first game, the girls went by bus to Orlando. They played two games in Clermont at the National Training Center. The first game against Capital University resulted in a 20-7 loss and then they experienced an 18-10 loss against Johnson & Wales University in their second game. The girls still had a great time soaking up the sun. Towards the last few days of break the girls had the choice to spend a relaxing day at the hotel pool or visit Disney World!

Men’s Basketball

Over break, the men’s team won their 4th straight Presidents’ Athletic Conference Championship against Thomas Moore College with a final score of 65-62. They were the only team to do this in 27 years! After winning, they qualified for the NCAA Division III Tournament in Cleveland, Ohio. The SVC basketball team played against the #5 ranked team, John Carroll University. The team fell 99-85 against the team in the first round of the tournament. Their days consisted of practicing early in the morning and partaking in team bonding in the afternoon. The team ended their season at 22-7 overall. Congratulations boys!

Women’s Softball

Our softball team traveled by bus to Florida as well! They played in Clermont and had 4 losses and 4 wins. SVC was able to beat Elizabethtown 2-1 in their first game and then fell to Mount Union 12-0. The girls beat Immaculata University 3-0 and then fell to York 5-4 in game two. A few days later, the girls defeated Wartburg 8-0 and then fell 3-0 to Capital. The last day of the trip, the girls fell to Rose-Hulman 2-0 and then in their second game were able to defeat Finlandia University 13-0 in just five innings. In the midst of many games, the girls also got to spend some time at the happiest place on Earth, Disney World!

Aubrey Marquis is a freshman at Saint Vincent College. Her major is in Communication and an intended minor of either spanish or math. She is Vice President of her class in Saint Vincent's Student Government Association and is an active member of MADComm. Aubrey has worked as a gymnastics coach at Willow Tree Gymnastics for 4 years and enjoys spending time with kids. When she's not working, Aubrey can be found either in the gym, hanging out with friends, or studying for class. She doesn't have a dream job in mind, but plans to go wherever her work takes her! Follow her on instagram and twitter @aubsx3x3
Kaura Bassegio is a Saint Vincent College Alumna with a degree in marketing. As founder and former President of the St. Vincent chapter, Kaura worked on pitching ideas, editing, and leading a large team of women. Throughout her years at Saint Vincent, Kaura worked in the retail industry where she received her internship at American Eagle Outfitters. Now that she is a college graduate, Kaura will be focused on family, friends, and most importantly, finding a job! She is interested in fashion and her dream is to live and work in New York City. Follow her on Instagram: kauralbassegio