Surviving Class Registration

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Vincent chapter.

How to Survive Class Registration

It’s that time of the semester… class registration!  Everyone gets stressed out about what classes to take and if they will be able to get into those classes.  Then, when registration day comes, everyone freaks out when they get the loading sign of death and an error sign.  Don’t worry!  Just follow these tips and registration will be a breeze.

Start by determining what classes you need to take for your major and/or minor. You’ll need to meet with your advisor to make sure you’re on track for your major and graduation.

Next, look at your program evaluation on the portal.  Determine what classes you still need to take to fulfill core. There’s a bunch of options! Take something that you find interesting or sparks your curiosity. If you find a class you’re interested in, you’re probably less likely to look like this…

Then, look at all the classes offered on the search and register section of the portal, and determine which classes you want to take.  Have fun with it!  Once you find classes you want to take, add them to you registration page. It’s just a simple click and you’ll be prompted to another screen. Make sure you’re keeping track of the times you are picking classes for so they don’t overlap.

Tips:  

Create an excel spreadsheet of your tentative class schedule; it makes it easier to visualize what your week will look like. 

Have backup classes planned for classes that you are not guaranteed a spot in.  This will make it easier once registration comes around; this saves you time during registration, if you don’t get all the classes you wanted. 

Use an Ethernet cable when registering (wifi is always slow). This means a desktop is probably the best option. 

RELAX!  If you don’t get into a class, it’s not the end of the world.

I am currently a senior with a major in chemistry and a minor in graphic design.
Juli Cehula

St Vincent '18

Hello there! I am the Campus Correspondent of the Her Campus chapter at Saint Vincent College. As a senior psychology major, I've made the most of my time in undergrad and am excited for all the doors I have opening ahead of me. I can definitely thank Her Campus for giving me invaluable skills. As a future psychologist, I hope that my articles (and the chapter's) are able to make you feel empowered, motivate you to start a conversation, and be kind. As a hero of mine has said, "If you do not take control over your time and your life, other people will gobble it up. If you don't prioritize yourself, you constantly start falling lower and lower on your list."- Michelle Obama. Be the change you want to see in the world, and smile. Always smile!