This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Vincent chapter.

Starting the Semester off Right 

I love a month-long Netflix binge as much as the next college student, but that time of the year is over for now. The spring semester is in full swing, and I know most people would like to start it on a good note. Here are strategies that might help you stay happier this semester!

1. Keep a planner or organize it better than before: 

I started the fall semester religiously writing my assignments and tests in my planner. By midterm I started to slack off, and I know that it caused me unnecessary stress. The worst part is knowing that that stress was preventable. We should all do everything within our power to get rid of preventable stress in our lives.  

2. Maintain a better sleep schedule 

Going to bed and waking up at roughly the same time every day not only helps me sleep better, but also generally feel better. When you feel better, you perform better. I swear by keeping as steady a sleep schedule as possible, which is difficult as a college student, but not impossible.  

3. Stay ahead on readings 

I do not know what it is exactly about reading assignments, but I dread them, and I know I am not alone. One thing that has helped me with staying on top of and ahead on readings is setting aside a few hours each week specifically for reading. Sometimes you just have to get the painful stuff out of the way. When you do read, you’ll be surprised at your confidence in class! 

4. Take care of yourself 

You may or may not have already given up on your New Year resolution, but that does not mean self care is completely out the window. It can be difficult to take time for you with a crazy college schedule, but it is needed, so spare a few minutes for yourself. Listen to your favorite song, do a quick workout, paint your nails your favorite color, drink some water, or whatever! Do something to make you happy, and then get back to the books, girl.

Some things to know about Rachel: Freshman undeclared major Ed Sheeran enthusiast Aspiring world traveler Self-described nerd Floral lover Meme appreciator Happiest being herself  
Juli Cehula

St Vincent '18

Hello there! I am the Campus Correspondent of the Her Campus chapter at Saint Vincent College. As a senior psychology major, I've made the most of my time in undergrad and am excited for all the doors I have opening ahead of me. I can definitely thank Her Campus for giving me invaluable skills. As a future psychologist, I hope that my articles (and the chapter's) are able to make you feel empowered, motivate you to start a conversation, and be kind. As a hero of mine has said, "If you do not take control over your time and your life, other people will gobble it up. If you don't prioritize yourself, you constantly start falling lower and lower on your list."- Michelle Obama. Be the change you want to see in the world, and smile. Always smile!