Spring Break on a Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Vincent chapter.

Ahhh – Spring Break. The much needed and anticipated vacation destination awaits. Margaritas on the beach and skiing vacation in Colorado come to mind when thinking of spring break. But planning your spring break can be tough when you’re on a budget. That doesn’t mean you can’t still have a fantastic spring break. That’s where staycations come in. Staycations are vacations spent at home and involve day trips to local attractions. This can help you save a lot of money, as well as discover new, exciting areas in your town that you may not have known existed! 

1. Check out your local museums 

Invite your friends to go to an art, national, or American history museum. Although some museums can have hefty entrance fees, many museums offer free or discounted admission to students with your school ID. If you are from the Latrobe or Greensburg area, there is a wonderful (and free) Westmoreland Museum of American Art in the center of Greensburg, with some cute cafes close by. 

2. Go hiking or on a bike ride 

Many areas have beautiful, scenic trails to enjoy. This will help you get your exercise in for the day, without even feeling like you’re exercising! Pack a picnic and some water and go explore the nature around you. 

3. Take a camping trip in your own backyard 

As long as the weather permits, try getting out some camping gear and have your own backyard adventure! 

4. Go to your local animal shelter 

Not only does spending the day with dogs and cats sound like the perfect getaway, but you will be doing an act of kindness. Many volunteers will be happy that you took the time to spend time with the animals. And another added benefit, its completely free! 

5. Have a spa day 

To save money, pick up some nail polish and a face mask from Walmart or Sally Beauty Supply and have your own spa day at home! This will save a TON of money and still feel like you’re getting the relaxation that you so deserve. 

6. Try something new every day 

Go visit local gems in your town that you may have never been before. Try new restaurants, visit a book store, try an instagram worthy coffee shop, or support small businesses in your hometown!

Hello! My name is Norina Haefelin and I am a psychology and biology student at Saint Vincent College. I love adventures, travelling, and trying new and exotic foods. In my spare time, I like photography and art, cooking, and hiking. Though I am new to Her Campus, I am so excited to be a part of this wonderful community!
Juli Cehula

St Vincent '18

Hello there! I am the Campus Correspondent of the Her Campus chapter at Saint Vincent College. As a senior psychology major, I've made the most of my time in undergrad and am excited for all the doors I have opening ahead of me. I can definitely thank Her Campus for giving me invaluable skills. As a future psychologist, I hope that my articles (and the chapter's) are able to make you feel empowered, motivate you to start a conversation, and be kind. As a hero of mine has said, "If you do not take control over your time and your life, other people will gobble it up. If you don't prioritize yourself, you constantly start falling lower and lower on your list."- Michelle Obama. Be the change you want to see in the world, and smile. Always smile!