stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

One Simple Self-Care Strategy You Should Try

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Vincent chapter.

Life can get crazy when the semester is in full swing, which makes it difficult to find time to take care of yourself. However, it is just as important to practice self-care when stress is at an all-time high… if not even more so.

IMAGE CREDIT: Astrobites

I’ve made one small change to fit some time for myself into my crazy agenda, and it has already made a significant improvement in my daily life. I was an avid reader in childhood, but as the stress and pressures of adult life began to pile on, I all but completely stopped reading for enjoyment. I have honestly missed reading for years, so this semester I decided that would change. Every night before bed I pick up a book and read for at least fifteen minutes. I cannot believe it, but it has worked, and my sleep and general mood has improved ever since! Time set aside for myself before bed is a perfect form of self-care for me, but could it work for other people too?

IMAGE CREDIT: Bustle 

I soon realized that this simple change could be applied and adapted to many other forms of self-care. I am proposing that if you find yourself not having any time for yourself during the chaotic time that is college, set aside just a short amount of time before going to sleep to do a calming activity that you enjoy. For me, it is reading, but for you it could be trying a new relaxing yoga pose, learning to meditate, or anything else you can think of! (I would suggest it not involving screen time though. You do not want to risk messing up a good night’s sleep.)

IMAGE CREDIT: Mindful

HCXO,

Rachel

Rachel Keller

St Vincent '21

Feminist. Biology major, Spanish minor. Musical theater enthusiast. Still figuring everything out.