kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

Nutritional Tips for College Girls

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Vincent chapter.

Don’t Focus on How Much You Eat. Focus on WHAT YOU EAT! – Quote from Food Matters

Stepping into college is a time period full of changes in a woman’s life. Sometimes the new environment can drag along lots of unhealthy eating habits. These changes can be tough, but with the right mindset, will often turn into positive progressions! So, here’s a few tips to living a nutritional lifestyle away at college!

1. Grilled/Baked Foods Rather than Fried

Food is fuel for our brains. So, it’s extremely important that we manage what we consume and refrain from fattening foods. Some great options to look for in the cafeteria are grilled/baked foods rather than fried!

• Grilled Chicken (eaten plain or made as a sandwich/ cut into a salad)
  • Grilled Cheese + Tomato Soup
  • Baked Oatmeal
  • Grilled Vegetables
  • Baked Regular or Sweet Potatoes

Image Credit: Bird’s Eye

2. Fruit/Veggies Make for Perfect Appetizers

Along with your grilled/baked meal, you can add some fresh veggies or fruit to the side! Fruit and vegetables are essential in a healthy diet. You can incorporate them into many different meals throughout the day.

• Pineapple: It can be served at any meal time of the day. You can also grill pineapple or add it to a salad.
  • Avocado: It’s low in carbs and high in potassium! A great idea is to spread it to your toast in the morning!
  • Apples: And you can dip them in peanut butter! Apples contain high amounts of fiber and vitamins.
  • Celery: It is rich in vitamins and minerals. You can cut celery up and fill it with peanut butter and raisins for a snack!

Image Credit: Bake Space

3. Protein Snacks

Make sure to gobble up protein foods during the week too! Examples of protein items to snack on any time in the day include:

• Peanut Butter + Banana
  • Greek yogurt mixed with granola
  • Almonds plain or mixed in with yogurt
  • Grilled Chicken Salad
  • Skinny popcorn + toppings such as olive oil, parmesan cheese, or peanut butter

Image Credit: My Vegan Dreams

4. Going Back to Basics

Another option to search for in your cafeteria is carbohydrates. Carbohydrates are a major basic food group! Carbohydrates include options such as pasta, rice, and bread. If possible, try to eat whole grain options as often as you can!

• Whole-Wheat Pasta; great for fiber and protein intake!
  • Brown Rice! It’s whole-grain and heartier/fiber-packed more so than white rice.
  • Whole-Grain breads! Whole-wheat is rich in vitamins, minerals, fiber, and protein!

Image Credit: Food Network

5. You Can’t Drink All Day If You Don’t Start in the Morning

It is essential to stay hydrated throughout the day. A great idea to help maintain hydration is to pack a water bottle in your backpack before your day full of classes! Try to stay away from caffeinated drinks such as soda, coffee, and energy drinks. Here’s some healthy drink ideas for your meals!

• Of course, WATER!
  • Coconut water
  • Milk: Almond, One Percent-Reduced Fat Milk! Dairy is a great source of vitamin D to keep your bones strong, but it is often forgotten about by students.
  • SPORTS DRINKS: Body Armor Drink or Gatorade

These sports drinks are fabulous! They replenish electrolytes and contain vitamins, natural sweeteners, and coconut water.

Image Credit: CostCo

Dorm Grocery List Suggestions:

• Water
  • Almond Milk
  • Granola bars
  • Gatorade or Body Armor drinks
  • Oatmeal
  • Pre-Made Salads
  • Whole-Grain crackers + String Cheese
  •  Skinny popcorn
  • Hummus + Pita Bread or Pretzels
  • Carrots
  • Peanut Butter
  • Fruit (fresh or dried)
  • Yogurt
  • Celery
  • Almonds

HCXO,

Lauren

Lauren Gamble

St Vincent '22

Saint Vincent College class of 2022. I am a Communication major. I play basketball for the Saint Vincent Women's basketball team and I love snapping photos! ♡